Neptune Aquatics

pH calibration solution?

Does anyone know of a good place in SF that sells pH calibration solution? If not, does anyone have some I could use to calibrate my AC III pH probe?

sfboarders said:
I've got 2 big bottles of 7 and 10 that will last awhile.
Hugely overlooked is the need to regularly calibrate your controller ph probes. I suggest AT LEAST every 6 months. Some folks are calibrating monthly. I was suspicious that my Apex was reading very high and found it was way off. A simple, 10 minute process to calibrate. Tip: always use a small amount poured into a separate container. I fill two shot glasses well rinsed in RO or distilled water to 1/3 full of each solution. I suggest you do the calibration twice to be sure you get consistent readings and follow the sequence in your manual exactly. Be sure to properly dispose of the used solution when done. It has been suggested that it may be toxic and should NOT go into the house drain. Also important, check your total carbonate hardness. It's not the same as Ph and you need a correct carbonate hardness range as well as correct ph range. Check them both regularly. Thank for sharing your solution with me, John.

Edited to clarify and correct.

screebo said:
sfboarders said:
I've got 2 big bottles of 7 and 10 that will last awhile.
Hugely overlooked is the need to regularly calibrate your controller ph probes. I suggest every 6 months. I was suspicious that my Apex was reading very high and found it was way off. A simple, 10 minute process to calibrate. Tip: always use a small amount poured into a separate container. I fill two shot glasses well rinsed in RO or distilled water to 1/3 full of each solution. I suggest you do the calibration twice to be sure you get consistent readings and follow the sequence in your manual exactly. Be sure to dump the used solution when done. Thank for sharing your solution with me, John.

I suggest every month and that is even pushing it. We calibrate weekly at our facility and for hand helds we calibrate every use.

Be sure to properly dump the toxic reagents when done. Do not simply put them into the sewer system.

Hmmm...........guess I'll consider ph probe calibration at every water change. I would not have guessed that the ph calibration solution should be considered toxic. If we're pretty sure regarding toxicity, what is the easiest method of proper disposal?

I think they are non toxic but I treat them as toxic. Our lab waste removal takes them away for me. FWIW I do not like dumping much down the drain.

GreshamH said:
I think they are non toxic but I treat them as toxic. Our lab waste removal takes them away for me. FWIW I do not like dumping much down the drain.
+1
I'll do a little research with my local disposal site to see if they handle such things. I'll also read the safety data on the ph calibration solution that I'm using on my ph probe to see if it may be an exception to the "NOT down the drain" rule. I really should have done that prior to assuming it was OK. Thanks for the "heads up", Gresh, a darn good point!

Back