Reef nutrition

PH DOWN and LIVE ROCK QUESTION

Schmitty

Supporting Member
So I have two questions, one is why is my PH higher then normal and how do I get it down? (Currently averaging 8.48)

and the other question is, with my live rock, it seems like things aren't grabbing onto it and growing onto... Instead they seem to grow all around but never get the grow up the rock vibe... any ideas or suggestions. Not even my star polyps growing onto the rock and I thought that was the easiest.

Couple questions re: your PH. What's your "normal?" What's your normal at night? During the day? Why do you care ?

As to corals and rock are you placing corals on the rock?

Calibrate PH probe. Check Alkalinity levels.
Are you using Kalk? Soda ash?
Need a lot more info.
+1 on not necessarily a problem.

Regarding rock : Need a closeup picture.
How long have you tried?

Ok I guess the ph isn’t a problem but the spas and polyps not starching to live rock has been ongoing for a while now

1) I would be thankful for the high pH and use it as justification for more SPS. I'm also curious as to time of day and Alk/Ca levels.
2) Nitrate? Asking due to the softy issues.
3) Pictures?

I would throw out your PH probe or test equipment and never look at PH again. :) What are your phosphates at? You need some, but high phosphates will severely limit growth and expansion of zoas.

Apex and others would do the hobby a world of good if they'd quit selling probes for PH. I am certain more tanks and corals have been lost by people chasing that number then those hurt by an improper PH.

Apex and others would do the hobby a world of good if they'd quit selling probes for PH. I am certain more tanks and corals have been lost by people chasing that number then those hurt by an improper PH.
I don’t know if I’d go that far. It’s definitely not an essential value but if it was chronically low, I’d want to know and do something about it.

I don’t know if I’d go that far. It’s definitely not an essential value but if it was chronically low, I’d want to know and do something about it.
I think you’d know if it was chronically low. Or at least have a strong suspicion as to why your tank was struggling.

I think real time PH probes are great.
Sure, the absolute level is not so important.
But until automated Alkalinity testers really become mainstream, PH changes are the only early warning
you have that your Alk levels are off.

Back