Our mission

Photoperiod

Next step: Photoperiod

I’ve seen a wide range of photoperiods here on the forums. In the “old days” with my original reef the lights were on for 14 hours; 12 hours of full exposure and one hour on either end with just the actinics. For softies and hardy LPS this seemed to work just fine.

The new tank is going to be a mix of everything; softies, hardy LPS, hardy SPS, maybe a clam and/or anemone (the ladder two still open for debate). And in keeping up with the technology I have purchased LEDs.

So what do ya’ll suggest?

-Gregory

Yes...that should be it.

Here they are....

http://illuminarium-inc.com/content/lumensky

I purchased 2 LS-81s for a 75gal/24" tall. The tank is 48" long so with the center brace they should just fit. (BAYMAC was an expensive day trip)

-Gregory

Although this is not an LED schedule, I thought I'd share it anyway.

My schedule is based on a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess)

2 T5 UV Lighting Super Actinics come on at 12 noon
4 remaining T5's come on at 1 PM

Note: Original choice for these 4 tubes were 2 Aqua Science Blue 22K's, 1 Giesemann Midday and 1 Korallen Zucht Fiji purple. Current choice replaced one of the the Blue 22K's and the Giessemann Midday with ATi Aquablue Specials. The total color rendering looked much too "blue" prior to the switch.

North Mh is a 250w Radium 20K single end and comes on at 2 PM
South Mh (same as above) comes on at 3 PM

North Mh goes off at 6 PM
South Mh goes off at 7 PM
4 T5's go off at 8 PM
2 T5's (Super Actinics) go off at 8 PM

Remarks: I've got a 48" Reef Brite LED strip in blue coming that will likely come on at 6 PM and go off at 9 PM

I would run the RB the entire time you have light on the tank.

Greg a big part of why no one has replied is you are in new territory really. Besides Jesse I don't think anyone else has a full LED lit tank.

screebo said:
Although this is not an LED schedule, I thought I'd share it anyway.

My schedule is based on a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess)

SNIP......

Thanks for the reply....

So we're looking at approx 9 hours of light (with variable intensities). Are there any documented issues with over illuminating? I really like the long photoperiod, 14 hours, like we had before. It lends itself to a more flexible maintenance schedule as well as entertaining.

-Gregory

GreshamH said:
Greg a big part of why no one has replied is you are in new territory really. Besides Jesse I don't think anyone else has a full LED lit tank.

The story of my life......diving in before anyone else and not checking the depth of the water :) .

IIRC Sanjay(sp?) who gave the LED talk at BAYMAC was running his personal tanks with just LEDs. Is there anyway to consult him for suggestions/recommendations?

-Gregory

You can over illuminate corals. Pretty much the only thing you can't is Tridacnid clams.

14 hours of full light is way to much.

My tank is 100% LED and that is why I have so much problems :(
I still don't know what is a good period and how much light.
So, I'm still experimenting with it.
What I do know is that acros and montis turn brown except if placed up high, in which case they bleach. :(
I'm also losing them, still don't know why, due to STN. Most of my SPS are getting some sort of STN, don't know why... :(
All LPS are doing fine and growing beautifully.
Just this past week, I replaced 2 cool whites and 2 royal blue stars for 1 warm white, 1 UV, 1 Red and 1 Green.
Still too early to tell what effects it produced.
My schedule is cool white on at 3:30 and off at 9pm, royal blue on at 3 and off at 9:30pm.
I also dim them from 0 to 750mA on the daylight channel and 0 to 500mA on the actinic channel.
This is my experience with LEDs so far.

So onward into uncharted waters.......
The LED units will be arriving on Monday or Tuesday. The tank has been cycling and stabilizing since early April with only rock, cheato (sp?) in the fuge, and a couple of hermits. I’m taking things slowly to avoid issues. After I stock it with some fish and move onto some hardy corals I’ll start a LED thread with photoperiod logs and pics of the various critters.

Roberto – thanks for the info. Keep in touch and let me know if you discover anything new. I’ll do likewise. Check out the following thread I found on another board. I’ve only skimmed it (44 pages!) but it seems to have a lot of information on LED only tanks. Let me know what you think.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/equipment/70719-leds-good-bad-just-another-addiction.html

-Gregory

Back