Our mission

Plate proprogation

Ibn

While chatting with Norman last night, he convinced me to try an alternative means of propping plates without cutting them.

This all goes back to the prop plate, Fungia fralinae, that was placed into the swap. Norman noted that when the fully formed fungia grew to a decent size, it would pop off. What Norman found out was that as the plates popped off the skeleton, bits of tissue were left behind (as noted with actinic lights). Upon further research, Norman saw that it was a viable mean of proprogation.

So, to see how this works, I'm currently experimenting with a different plate, Diaseris fragilis.

mounting1.jpg

mounting2.jpg

mounting3.jpg

mounting4.jpg

mounting5.jpg

mounting6.jpg

mounting7.jpg

mounting8.jpg

This method is interesting in that it doesn't require cutting the plate and thereby change the shape. we'll find out in about a month or so how effective this is when I intend to remove the attachments.

I will try the same thing on my fungia tonight after work. Eric is just a go-gether and he did this while we were all chatting with Norman about it last night! Go Eric!

Diaseris fragilis - you picked the easiest of all plates to do this with. Diaseris frag themselves even in shipping :lol:

I heard of another method besides this. Gotta ask if it's ok to talk about though.

Does anyone remember years ago, shortly after BAR re-grouped, we had a frag session at ASAP? We did the most horrific things. The worst was taking a helio fungia and slicing it up into pie shapes with a tile cutter. I took a 2 pieces of it home thinking "No Way!" the were retracted into the skeleton. Well, they both are alive and well now, still not circular or oval shaped though. Slow grower, but I was/am amazed at how it survived the slicing and dicing.

V

:lol: I do but it was several years after the re-organization :D

Problem with fracturing is it takes a long time to get the shape back.

Along for the ride.

Since I missed the talk last night, what's the theory of what Eric is trying to do? Is he elevating the plate so that it droops down and starts breaking off pieces of its own skin, which then would turn into baby plates?

The theory is: plates have amazing regenerative abilities and can be proprogated using bits of tissue left behind (similar to pedal lacerations in mushrooms and anemones).

The elevation is due to the bits of discs attached to the plate underneath. What I'm trying to accomplish is to remove bits of tissue from the plate to form new ones.

Glue rubble to bottom of plate --> remove rubble after a bit of time --> hopefully have leftover tissue on the rubble to form new plates

Back