Cali Kid Corals

PLEASE HELP!!!

I believe my purple tang is showing signs of ICH. What should I do? I thought I saw spots earlier in the week so I started treating the tank with NO-ICH the reef safe medicine. I have been treating for about two days before the what I think are spots on it. Obvisouly will continue treating but what should I do with the tang. It is eating great and no change in behivor. Should I remove it from the tank and treat it with copper or fresh water dip it? any suggestions?

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/DSC_0692.jpg

Purple tangs are pretty hearty. Mine had an outbreak of ich when I first added him and his is completely fine now. Not saying that this will be the same in your situation, but ensure he is still eating well and not acting abnormal, and he may very well fight it off.

If he is not eating or not eating well, do a search on hypo salinity. I am not familiar with this technicque personally, but I believe some others have used it successfully to treat ich.

There honestly isn't much that you can use to treat the tank itself for ich that won't hurt other things like your corals.

How long have you had the tang?

I am by no means a "fish guy", but I would still defer to my previous statement, if he is eating and not swimming oddly or looking like he is laboring he may very well fight it off. Garlic from what I believe I remember doesn't actually help ich but it more attracts the fish to the food making encouraging them to eat and ultimately fight it off.

My only concern at this point is I am due for a water change this week and I have been running with no skimmer and carbon for the last 3 days, my water is looking pretty cloudy, that is probably causing stress, What is going to be the best regiment to keep while keeping the stress level low in the tank? should I shorten my lighting schedule so it feels less exposed?, small frequent water changes (5% - 10%), and lastly If it is still eating which it is, should I increase feeding to more that 2 times a day?

I was in your situation 2+ months ago. My 3 fish had ich. I had option for them to feed and fight it off or to QT. After debating I took them out of the DT and put them in QT. I used hyposalinity for treatment. I kept the salinity at 1.008 for 5 weeks. The hardest part of the treatment was keeping the pH steady. You have to use cooked baking soda and drip it in. I lost one of the fish but the other 2 look great now and healthy.

Some new fish that I purchased came down with ich. It's ok because they are in QT. This time instead of hypo I tried a new treatment which is quinine sulfate from national fish pharmacy. They say it's not as stressful as copper and it's only a 10 day treatment. My blue hippo tang which showed signs of ich no longer has ich but has some blotches where the ich was but looks better now. I'll evaluate the fish for another 3+ weeks before I put in DT. Good luck! :)

So you dont agree with the idea that purples are hardy and as long as they keep feeding thy should be able to fight it off?

Has anyone had any luck with the copper free ICH probucts that can be used in reef tanks. They apprently disrupt the life cycle of the parasite, It is $49 a bottle and I already blew through one bottle in just 4 doses. I planned on picking up another bottle today. Is it a waste of money.

http://www.fishvet.com/no-ich.htm

Assuming the product works wont it be less stressfull on the fish if it remains in the DT?

seminolecpa said:
Purple tangs are pretty hearty. Mine had an outbreak of ich when I first added him and his is completely fine now. Not saying that this will be the same in your situation, but ensure he is still eating well and not acting abnormal, and he may very well fight it off.

I'm with Bryan on this. I don't QT (I have no separate tank setup). I have had Ich on several new fish (developed shortly after introducing to tank). It only presented on the new fish and not on the fish already in the tank.

Fish were otherwise healthy and acted normally. I just kept things running like normal and was ok. It went away on it's own.

Your comment on your tank being cloudy is a bit troublesome. Get that skimmer and carbon going and do a 20% WC. 100% WCs in general can be bad.

sfboarders said:
I was in your situation 2+ months ago. My 3 fish had ich. I had option for them to feed and fight it off or to QT. After debating I took them out of the DT and put them in QT. I used hyposalinity for treatment. I kept the salinity at 1.008 for 5 weeks. The hardest part of the treatment was keeping the pH steady. You have to use cooked baking soda and drip it in. I lost one of the fish but the other 2 look great now and healthy.

Some new fish that I purchased came down with ich. It's ok because they are in QT. This time instead of hypo I tried a new treatment which is quinine sulfate from national fish pharmacy. They say it's not as stressful as copper and it's only a 10 day treatment. My blue hippo tang which showed signs of ich no longer has ich but has some blotches where the ich was but looks better now. I'll evaluate the fish for another 3+ weeks before I put in DT. Good luck! :)

My only concern with the hypo QT is that I work olong hours and the tank would be unwatched for 10-13 hour a day. How am I supposed to monitor the Ph.

What about seing if my LFS could house the fish for me? Maybe they could put is in a copper treated tank? has anyone heard of this?

Reefdad said:
sfboarders said:

My only concern with the hypo QT is that I work olong hours and the tank would be unwatched for 10-13 hour a day. How am I supposed to monitor the Ph.

What about seing if my LFS could house the fish for me? Maybe they could put is in a copper treated tank? has anyone heard of this?

Test in the morning and evening for pH. You don't need to constantly check it. I created a slow drip made out of RO and cooked baking soda. I dripped about 1 drip/10 seconds.

A fish can fight of ich by eating but any new fish you introduce that is stressed out will most likely get ich and reinfect your tank. The ich will remain in your tank unless you keep it fishless for 8+ weeks. From now on I QT and treat for ich and parasites for all new fish.

I also have cupramine but I decided not to use because its the most stressful and will contaminate everything.

Here is the problem I see with treating just this fish seperately:

You stated that you QT'd the tang prior to adding him to your tank and all looked well. You then stated that a couple days after you added him to the tank he developed ich. I believe, if you have other fish in your display, the ich will have a host even if you remove the tang and treat it. Thus, though treating the tang might possibly help it in the short run, upon readding it to the tank it is possible that he will redevelop it again. Stress, I believe, is what makes fish more suceptible to ich in the first place.

Again, I was in this same situation with my purple tang after adding him to my display and was planning to go to more drastic QT and treatment measures. Someone I trust very much told me to sit tight, continue to feed him well and keep a sharp eye on him and he wound likely pull through without any issues (that was about 11 months ago btw). Unlike something like a powder Blue tang, Purples tend to be pretty resilliant to ich. FWIW, I have 3 tangs in my tank (a desarjini, a hippo and a purple) with no ich issues at this point. Most have been in the tank a minimum of about 8 months.

I may be totally wrong here but doesn't copper in some ways only mask some of the issues anyway and not actually fully treat the problems of parasites?

So what is the time frame of the condition. I currently see little white spots (as you can see in the pic) so the parasite has broken through the skin. I can assume that the transition takes about 4 days (by my reading) And can I assume that once the spots have fallen off then there should be a lower risk that the fish will start having issues in it gills? I guess what I am asking is how do I k ow when the fish has beaten it and what is typically the time frame realistically ?

So what is the time frame of the condition. I currently see little white spots (as you can see in the pic) so the parasite has broken through the skin. I can assume that the transition takes about 4 days (by my reading) And can I assume that once the spots have fallen off then there should be a lower risk that the fish will start having issues in it gills? I guess what I am asking is how do I k ow when the fish has beaten it and what is typically the time frame realistically ?

Back