got ethical husbandry?

PLEASE HELP!!!

Reefdad said:
tuberider said:
Erik, if the fish is huffing and puffing and not eating it's not a good outlook. If it is eating and breathing normally, it stands a good chance of rebounding, keep cramming the food down its throat and minimize the light to keep the stress levels down. Do not use the NO-ICH, it does not work, I know this from experience, and by experience I mean more than one tank, way more...

well I will just keep it dark? couple of hours a day of light and leave it at that?

Diffused lighting, dim, not bright.

Hey! I didn't say to just freeze it, I said if it is suffering and it will die no matter what then at least be civilized and keep the poor animal out of pain. I'm not saying stab it, I'm saying slowly slow it's heart rate down by freezing it which will cause a non-painful death and put it out of its misery! :(

Euphyllia said:
Just my two cents, but if any of your fish get Ich ever again and they are less than $40, not rare, and you don't have a quarantine tank, I would git rid of the fish. Since you have a 90 gallon I wouldn't want to risk the rest of my tank to Ich and the NO-ICH stuff is extremely expensive. As for now, I would treat the pest cycle for a couple of weeks just to be safe, but if this ever happens again in the future you can bring the fish to an LFS and see if they would take it for free and have them deal with the Ich since you gave them the fish for free. Not to put everything off on them, but since you'd be giving it to them for free I think it would be a fair deal. If you can't do that, then I've heard you can cup the fish out in water and put it in the freezer and it will slowly stop its heart rate without it having to go through pain. And since you don't spend a fortune on the NO-ICH you can buy another fish to replace it if you wanted to and you won't have to buy multiple large bottles of the NO-ICH. Again, this is just my opinion. The only time I've had to freeze a fish was when I had a pregnant guppy in my old fresh water tank and you could tell she was about to die... she had given birth every single month for about 6 months and her last batch had been 132 babies. I'm assuming if she had lived there would be about 200+ babies. The other time I had to freeze a fish was when I got one about a year ago and I came home one night and found it still breathing, but lying on its side and it looked like it was dying so I spared it the pain of dieing and froze it. If you ever get Ich again, try and remember this! Good Luck! :)

Might want to rephrase your statement then. From the gist of it, reading and rereading it, it does sound like you do not care for any fish $40 or less.

Euphyllia said:
Hey! I didn't say to just freeze it, I said if it is suffering and it will die no matter what then at least be civilized and keep the poor animal out of pain. I'm not saying stab it, I'm saying slowly slow it's heart rate down by freezing it which will cause a non-painful death and put it out of its misery! :(

This is what I mean by you all know what I mean...

OK, well I find it very rude to make fun of everything I say every time I try to clarify my self. You know I didn't say to stab the fish. Don't reply any more of those rude and annoying comments back to this because it is really ticking me off. |(

Matthew they are trying to defuse the thread, they are not making fun of you. Trust me on this one :)

As far as an update. The tang is still swimming around the tank differently. When the lights are all off it swims around as normal, but when I just turn on some of my lights it sits in one area and doesn't move. Any Ideas on this? I haven't seen it eat tonight so that has me concerned that it is taking a downward turn, though I hope not. The fish is fat so I hope that helps it out, is it possible it just isn't hungry, I thought tangs were always hungry. I have tried the garlic to entice feeding didn't do much. As far as the breathing I cant tell. Its gills look the same as they always have but I cant tell if it is breathing hard I am not sure what that would look like. Can anyone give me some hints on what to look for. So I guess I will just continue to keep my fingers crossed. If these guys are so resilient do they tend to get REAL bad and pull through or should it pull through with no problem. I guess that isn't really a question anyone can answer..... I guess this is why this hobby is so frustrating. This was my goal fish from the beginning over a year ago and I though I did everything right. I just don't get it???????

Sorry Matthew. Just making a joke that we're too dumb to figure out what you wrote.

Don't worry. We like you even if we don't always agree.

I think it's cool that you're on the forum asking questions and sharing comments.

and 42 isn't poking fun at you. It's an auto reply to anything :p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrases_from_The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy#Answer_to_the_Ultimate_Question_of_Life.2C_the_Universe.2C_and_Everything_.2842.29

Reefdad said:
As far as an update. The tang is still swimming around the tank differently. When the lights are all off it swims around as normal, but when I just turn on some of my lights it sits in one area and doesn't move. Any Ideas on this? I haven't seen it eat tonight so that has me concerned that it is taking a downward turn, though I hope not. The fish is fat so I hope that helps it out, is it possible it just isn't hungry, I thought tangs were always hungry. I have tried the garlic to entice feeding didn't do much. As far as the breathing I cant tell. Its gills look the same as they always have but I cant tell if it is breathing hard I am not sure what that would look like. Can anyone give me some hints on what to look for. So I guess I will just continue to keep my fingers crossed. If these guys are so resilient do they tend to get REAL bad and pull through or should it pull through with no problem. I guess that isn't really a question anyone can answer..... I guess this is why this hobby is so frustrating. This was my goal fish from the beginning over a year ago and I though I did everything right. I just don't get it???????

I pulled my fish out when one of them started breathing rapidly and was just swimming close to the sand and not eating anymore. You'll know when the fish is huffing and puffing. How do your other fish look? Do you see any ich on them?

If you bring purple tang to your LFS your tank will still have ich because you have ich in there. Ich will only live if they have a fish to host on. Even though your other fish don't show signs (well except for your potters angel) it means their immune systems can fight it off. The only way to get rid of ich completely is to QT ALL your fish and leave it fishless for at least 8 weeks.

This is the reason why I took my fish out. I've heard of ich wiping out a tank and I did not want to experience that. Also a purple tang is not a cheap fish. Good Luck! :)

So seeing spots on my potters I decided to remove all my fish from the tank and put them in QTl. My entire reef is all Jacked up now and I have more frags of SPS than I ever wanted. So now I have a butt load for DBTC I guess. All my fish are in QT with just the potters showing signs. I am running the QT pretty warm to speed up the ICH cycle. it is about 81 right now. The the water is at about 18-20ppt, dKh 9, Ph 7.8 (the salinity is lower than my DT but the other parameters are about the same.) I was planing on slowly lowering the SG over a week or so as suggest earlier in the thread. Now that the fish are separate should I treat the QT? Especially since one of the fish is showing signs? If so what product has the best results? Is ParaGuard a good product?

Lastly the Tang. I woke this morning to a different look. It looks like it might have less cysts on it. But what is really noticeable is.... not sure how to describe it but as if the fish is peeling??? not in sheets like we would after a sun burn but more like tiny flakes of something. Is that the cysts after they rupture. can it look like tiny flakes of skin? It looks to be ALOT MORE ACTIVE. Can the fish get that much relief from the the cysts rupturing just over night?

The eyes sound like secondary bacterial infections, not sure about the peeling, could be ammonia burn, it could be a number of things actually. If the tank is warmer than your display than the tang is going to be more active due to the higher temperature, otherwise it's probably a good sign.

Back