got ethical husbandry?

Plumbing question

Klems

Supporting Member
I am finalizing the hard plumbing for my build and wanted to get your opinions.... At the bottom of my main drain I built a filter sock holder out out of two hangers and a 4" PVC coupler. I cut out a 2" piece so I could easily remove and install the socks.

Question, could I cut the PVC short, just below the union and pressure fit a 1" coupler and a short piece of 1" PVC so that I could just twist it on and off each time....Or will the draining water force it off?

In which case I would have to unscrew the union each time...?

Attachments

• IMG_20170207_095138092.jpg
    IMG_20170207_095138092.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 227
You could test it out. Don't glue the pipe to the union yet if it pops off your sump should still catch all the water flowing through the union. I would guess that over time it will fall off more and more easily.

My main drain splits into two, and in both routes the last pipe touching water is not glued. They just hang there into a slip fitting above. I can see salt creep from fitting downward onto the pipe. The salt creep makes it harder to slip out i think.

I do the same to the first pipe leaving return pump.

My system has been running for 4 months.

If u look into the inside of slip fittings, I dont think the pipe presents a blockage to water flow. It is only the weight of pipe (in ur case that is minimal) and friction of interior surface to water (again minimal) that will push pipe away.

Aren't you able to cut out more material from the 4" PVC so you can just tilt the filter sock's neck to slide it down toward bottom of sump until it clears the pvc pipe?

Last edited:
Friction should hold it fine.
If you are really worried, two options:

1) Have the removable part be larger, so zero pressure on it.
(Glue on a 1" -> 1.25" adapter, then friction fit a short 1.25" pipe)
2) Put a small stainless screw in to hold it.

Or even put a threaded fitting on it. The slip fitting is pretty snug, I was just thinking over time of taking it on and off may loosen it.

Back