Neptune Aquatics

Possibility of a tank upgrade

Corallus

Supporting Member
So there's a chance I could be looking to move from my current 75g setup (36"x24"x20") to something 4' wide, either 120g or maybe 150g sometime this summer. The biggest obstacle I see to doing this is I live on the second floor of a loft style building that doesn't have an elevator. It's quite a few stairs to manage. I was able to get my 75 up the stairs with just myself and another pretty flabby friend, but something substantially heavier could be a real challenge. For people who've moved tanks up and down stairs, how difficult and how many people would it take to get something like a euro-braced CDA 120 or 150 up the equivalent of 2 stories worth of stairs?

tenor.gif

stair ways.. 2 people can work with suction cups. i am more worried about the structural support of the extra weight. do you know where the perpendicular beams are under your floors?

Exactly!
Actually, not so much worried about support. The floors are poured concrete slabs under the hardwood, so I think should be able to hold the 1000-1500lb weight (rough guess).

I used an electric stair lift dolly I rented from A Tool Shed. I only did it because my tank was still in its shipping crate.
If I had to do it again, I would spend some time practicing with the dolly before tackling the actual tank.

The electric stair lift is a great idea, had forgotten about those. I may even have a set of suction cups I bought from someone in the club when I moved my current tank, hopefully I can find them or schedule using the club’s set. So it sounds like this is a hurdle that can be cleared...

Back