High Tide Aquatics

Possible Ich?

I have 3 fish in my tank. (1) heniochus and (2) clowns. I purchased them all from different places. When I turn my blue + lights on I can see very small pinpoint size white dots on one of the clowns and on the heniochus. They are eating fine and swimming happily. I notice the heniochus goes to the cleaner shrimp pretty often. When I turn the lights off I do not see any white dots. I'm hoping these are just particles that attached themselves to the fish because I see all kinds of stuff floating when the bue + lights are on.

I do not see anything on the fish that looks like any of the ich pictures I've seen like below. Any ideas?

ich%20pic.jpg

Cleaner shrimp will clean even if no parasites are present so don't let that fool you into thinking something is wrong. Until you notice signs of Ich I would worry too much. I question what you are only seeing under actinic. Ich is visible under all light for the most part.

To help others quickly find this thread it probably should be posted here: http://www.bareefers.org/home/forum/59 It's the fish and invertebrate forum.

GreshamH said:
Until you notice signs of Ich I would worry too much.

Do you mean "wouldn't?" The blue light is like a black light so all the white stuff shows easily. I bet you had one in the 90's :p Attached are some pics with my daylight bulbs on. You can see the white spots still. I don't run my bulbs too much cause it's a FOWLR. I just run the blue ones most of the time.

BTW Can a mod move this to the correct board? Thanks!

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_2872.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_2874.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_2875.JPG

:) I did sound/lighting/production for/of RAVES for many many years.... had UV flood lamps, not tiny BL tubes :lol: Didn't own a single BL in the 80's though, it wasn't super popular amongst the surfers I hung out with. The wetsuits back then didn't need black lights to be dayglow :p

Ich shows up on it's on meaning no UV/BL needed. What other symptoms are they showing? Typically you'll see the other signs first unless it's a very minor case. Are they glancing off he substrate or rocks? Panting hard? Laying down?

What you see in the water column is simply debris and such, not waterborne Ich.

Wouldn't, yah, that one :lol:

Well I'm looking at the fish this morning but it appears to be more visible. Both of the fish are swimming around fine. No panting, laying down or glancing off of the rocks, substrate like you mentioned. The clown and heniochus that have the white stuff don't like to eat the pellets or flake food I feed them but they charge at the frozen food. The clown with no spots eats everything. Something to be worried about? Here's a pic from this morning. As you can see the spots are more visible today than from last night.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_2879.JPG

I didn't see anything wrong in the other Heni shots but I do now see it in that pic :( The thing that is odd is fish with Ich try to get rid of it by glancing off the rocks/substrate. Usually when you see Ich it's all ready infested their gills causing the heavy breathing/panting. Something is wrong but from the pictures I really can't tell. Any way to set up a Q tank and treat them?

Yea, I can setup a QT. I have a 20 gallon. Can I put both of them in there and leave the other clown in the DT? Should I buy some copper medicine and test kit? If so, which is the best?

UPDATE: I come home this evening to look at my fish and the big noticeable spots that were there this morning are no longer there. All I see are the tiny specs. Should I leave them in the DT for now until I see any of the signs you mentioned?

IME happy fish are healthy fish, if you move them they will become unhappy. Keep feeding them a lot of high quality food and do water changes, they'll pull through if conditions are good.

tuberider said:
IME happy fish are healthy fish, if you move them they will become unhappy. Keep feeding them a lot of high quality food and do water changes, they'll pull through if conditions are good.

What's considered high quality food? I feed them frozen mysis, spurilina, and formula 1. I rotate between each every day. I also give them formula 2 flakes and Spectra + A pellets. I feed them pellets or flakes in the morning and frozen at night. I want to make sure they get a variety of foods. I have a water change planned for this weekend. :)

Say it Jeremy, come on, you know you want to... I'll put another check in the mail :p

Yah what JAR said :)

I have a great feed you could try out... PM me your full shipping address and daytime phone number. It's a pellet with a lot of really good ingredients known for helping fishes over all health. It's nothing I sell, it's a friend of a friends company.

Still waiting for Jeremy to say...

JAR said:
add garlic. It works!

Paul just RB'd about that in fact

http://www.reefbuilders.com/2009/11/03/garlic-prophylaxis-an-effective-way-to-mix-garlic-and-food-to-reduce-fish-parasites/

GreshamH said:
Yah what JAR said :)

I have a great feed you could try out... PM me your full shipping address and daytime phone number. It's a pellet with a lot of really good ingredients known for helping fishes over all health. It's nothing I sell, it's a friend of a friends company.

Still waiting for Jeremy to say...

Ah man, is Jeremy gonna roast me? PM sent with my contact info. Thanks Gresh! I ordered some garlic and selcon so that's on the way.

BTW the bigger spots are back again this morning. The fish are swimming fine and look normal. :~

Garlic soaked Spectrum Thera-A pellets work wonders (I actually do the same thing as Paul except I don't let them co-mingle for as long). I also try and feed foods rich in omegas, Arcti-Pods are awesome for that, the fatty acids help boost the immune system and pack a caloric punch for fish that aren't eating with gusto.

And no I'm not gonna roast ya John, you're doing your best ;)

tuberider said:
I also try and feed foods rich in omegas, Arcti-Pods are awesome for that, the fatty acids help boost the immune system and pack a caloric punch for fish that aren't eating with gusto.

Checks in the mail :lol: but you did forget the ® :lol:

Some service guys swear Fuzzy-Phytes have a knack for healing fish as well. We've never looked into it and surely don't use it as a marketing claim though. Wouldn't do that until we proved it through scientific papers and testing.

Are there any other type of diseases where white spots show? Every day I look at the fish the spots appear and reappear. Almost like in different spots. Only thing is that the clown that is tank raised has no white spots on it. I noticed this morning that the heniochus was twitching this morning. Dunno if this is normal or not. First time I've seen it. Also the black stripe in the back appears to be getting washed out now.

IIRC the trophont (sp?) tends to drop off at night to look for a host as a tomote, that may be the reason why you are seeing a night/day difference.

The twitching is most likely the parasites infecting the gills.

Back