High Tide Aquatics

Potter's Angelfish

Hey everyone,

So last friday, I made an impulse purchase of a Potter's Angelfish. I've wanted one for a while, and Neptune's had several. I picked the one that was the most energetic and not very shy. I acclimated him (I don't know if it's a male, but i'm just going to refer to it as a him) properly, but I didn't QT him as my QT is still cycling... I also did not verify he was eating while at Neptune's (I totally forgot...).

Anyways, I have not noticed him eating to this point. I see him picking at rocks and various other things. Up to this point I've traditionally fed my other fish frozen foods (mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, marine cuisine, and spectrum marine fish formula pellets). I soak all of them in selcon & garlic prior to putting them in. When I feed the fish, all the fish go crazy but the potter's just hangs back and hides in rock work.

He's not being picked on or anything, he's the biggest fish in the system (only a six line wrasse and royal grammar) are also there.

I've read in the wild that angelfish are not carnivorous, but they typically take to eating them in the aquarium. I've also tried seaweed by wrapping it around some PVC. I haven't noticed him eating it. I also added some of my macro algae to the DT, but didn't notice him eating it.

Now it's been almost a week, and i've always read they can go a week without food... so I am obviously getting worried as the days go by. He still appears healthy, he has great colors. This morning I saw him follow the wrasse around for about 3 minutes (not aggressively just casually following). He allows the cleaner shrimp to clean him from time to time also.

Really looking for suggestions on what I can be doing. I'm going to call Neptune's later to see what they feed their fish... if it's different than what I have I will certainly be picking some up and hoping that he was holding out for that.

Any chance it's eating pods off the rocks and sand?? Do you have access to live brine shrimp?

I would feed live brine to get him eating........if that works then you can mix live brine with frozen brine (or mysis) and trick it into trying the frozen stuff. This worked for my baby lion fish.......within a couple days it was eating frozen with no problems. Not sure who sells live brine around you. "Natural life" aquarium in South San Francisco often has it.

If it is eating pods, it may not be hungry. Seems like it isn't showing any signs of stress as of yet. Good luck.

Forgot to update this.

Fed him many different things, took a while before I could actually get live brine shrimp (went to a few stores who stock it... yet always out of them). Eventually got some live ones and started feeding him those only. Saw him eat a little. Started mixing live / frozen (well dropping both in at the same time) and he took to the frozen.

Now he's on a pure frozen / pellet food diet (along with whatever algae / pods / whatever he can find).

Honestly he's been a great addition to the tank. He's the "big" guy in the tank yet really peaceful. I have a 6-line wrasse that used to be a total jerk chasing the other fish around, and now Potter (the angel... obv) swims in and saves the other fish. I constantly see him protecting the other fish from the wrasse.

Back