Prattreef's system

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by prattreef, Feb 13, 2008.

1. prattreef

prattreef Guest

This is my main 8' 240g. system that is on public display at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, NY . The actual configuration is only 1 1/2 years old, but most of the inhabitants were in an older system and are 5+ years old, some 10+. Lighting is 4x 250W Ushio 14K. DE lamps on Ice Cap ballasts. There is no skimmer, and we use a large and efficient means of Chaetomorpha filtration as the primary filter. We also run carbon 24/7. Calcium and Alkalinity is maintained solely via ESV B-Ionic.

[img width=1000 height=265]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2364/2220299556_5e7dda8374_b.jpg[/img]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. prattreef

prattreef Guest

If someone knows how to turn that link into an imbedded photo please go right ahead.

3. LeviT

LeviT Guest

Wow, very nice. Just use the insert image button and put the link in the middle.
    [​IMG]

4. prattreef

prattreef Guest

Thanks that was easy:) I'll try to post some more images. Randy

5. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Sweet looking tank. How's flow achieved in the tank? I see one vortec...

6. prattreef

prattreef Guest

Thanks. 3 Vortech's ---2 on pulse mode, plus the minimal flow from the returns.

7. seminolecpa

seminolecpa Past President

drool.....

8. Apon

Apon Volunteer

nice!

9. prattreef

prattreef Guest

Because I'm bored at work, here are few more shots. BTW, the photos aren't mine. They were taken by MR member Ellebelle (Lissa) who I think registered here. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Thales

Thales Past President

Nice Randy!

11. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Very nice. Is that an Astreopora in the 3rd shot? If it is, where is it placed in your tank? I'm considering moving one out of the sump to see what it colors up like.

12. prattreef

prattreef Guest

Yes it is an Astreopora and it is very low in the tank practically on the sand bed-- I'm not sure I did this for husbandry purposes, more likely that was the best real estate available a the time.

13. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Thanks for the info, Randy. I'm gonna see what kind of colors it throws out (supposedly purple base w/green polyps...).

14. Elite

Elite Guest

Nice!!
    The last pic. Is that a green birdnest growing on top of another acro?

15. prattreef

prattreef Guest

LOL. I was waiting for someone to notice. As with all things in NYC real estate is in short supply. What do New Yorkers do? They build up. We have been experimenting with "coral co-op " building by placing small colonies directly on the branches of larger benign species. The large "platform" colony is an ORA Elkhorn Monti which has proven the perfect candidate for this purpose-- it grows fast, doesn't fight with anything, seems to not illicit much of a response for other corals, has lots of nooks and crannies and isn't all that attractive on its own. Current coral renters include two types of Birds nests ( green and pink), an ORA Australian Delicate Acro, and an ORA "Dustin's Deepwter Acro" and some large Acro frag from Sanjay. It's been several months with no problems to speak of.

The 5th Photo also shows an Acro placed dead center in a yellow Porites colony with no ill effects to either. We have also found large plating Turbinaria is a good choice too.

16. Elite

Elite Guest

Cool.. look kinda weird but cool 8)

17. northbay-reefer

northbay-reefer Honorary Member

Very nice tank

18. fishnfst

fishnfst Guest

Great looking tank thanks for the pics.. How much B-ionic do you go through a month? What salt mix are you currently using?

19. prattreef

prattreef Guest

Thanks folks. I use Instant Ocean salt and have for over a decade-- no plans to change what's workin' now. As for B-Ionic, we literally drink the stuff. There are 3 large systems on display ( I've only posted pics of one) and we go through pretty much a 5g. unit a month. The tank in question uses 300ml per day of each component. The catch, ESV generously donates all the supplements and carbon :)

If any of you folks somehow make it over to he Manhattan Reefs swap in April, you'll get a first hand look at the systems.

Randy

20. fishnfst

fishnfst Guest

Oh my god!!! 300ml a day.. I Figured it would be some huge number :) 5g a month :) Here's a great example for all the two parters out there :)