Neptune Aquatics

PSA--Aptasia

I picked up several corals from AC last week and one had aphasia that showed up after I got it home. First things into the QT, so it had to come from there. No indictment, just FYI. Super glad I set up a QT!!

Yep. Never yet seen an LFS that didn't have aptasia in their tanks. They key is which ones care and try to control it and which ones don't. Once you reaqlize that there are certain pests that inhabit most LFS tanks and other people's tanks it's much easier to control with protocols before they get in your tank. Aptasia is the easiest to control probably simply with inspection, removing all purchased corals from frag plugs and mounts, etc.

Do you have bone cutters to chop them off? Lmk if you need a pair and I can send them your way.

Buying fish/shrimp to eat them is chasing a tail.
Epoxying or glueing over them doesn’t work.
Manual removal is key!

So I took a few pictures of what I got in my tub before getting ready for Bleach-a-thon 2019 and I wondering if anyone wants an aiptasia, good sized ones too! Classroom dissection project? Classroom what does it take to kill them project? Trying to breed nudibranchs?

So I took a few pictures of what I got in my tub before getting ready for Bleach-a-thon 2019 and I wondering if anyone wants an aiptasia, good sized ones too! Classroom dissection project? Classroom what does it take to kill them project? Trying to breed nudibranchs?

Bleach-a-thon 2019? YOu bleach every year??????

Haha I was going to do that in the past - classroom aiptasia tank with student-led investigations. One semester students did an anemone lab with them, but since then I've used tiny nems that always hitchhike when I collect mussels. Main reason I decided it would be a horrible idea in my room is students always mix up equipment between tanks, like the baster one group just used to remove cyano from one tank some other group grabs to feed another tank because it is convenient. Ugh.

Similar PSA - I was at Clear Water a couple days ago and was just about to pick up an acan when I noticed flatworms and Aiptasia in the tank. I would have taken a chance with the Aiptasia but didn’t feel as comfortable with the flatworms.

Definitely not an indictment on Ed and Clear Water but just a PSA to be careful if you buy anything out of that system. As with all purchases, make sure to inspect and dip before placing into your DT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar PSA - I was at Clear Water a couple days ago and was just about to pick up an acan when I noticed flatworms and Aiptasia in the tank. I would have taken a chance with the Aiptasia but didn’t feel as comfortable with the flatworms.

Definitely not an indictment on Ed and Clear Water but just a PSA to be careful if you buy anything out of that system. As with all purchases, make sure to inspect and dip before placing into your DT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Red Planaria?
Right, not all flatworms are necessarily bad. I remember having white ones in my 30 gallon that weren’t harmful.

Back