Our mission

Question about Kole Tang

Prince Shah

Supporting Member
Hi guys, I was at the LFS and noticed this Kole tang..... I wanted to buy yellow eye drop one and this one seems to be missing.... I am wondering is it the stress or they come in different variety? Plz look at pic.

Attachments

• 00J0J_1g8tCEGOOXo_600x450.jpg
    00J0J_1g8tCEGOOXo_600x450.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 243
That's the yellow eye Kole tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus) that you have in the picture.

What do you mean by yellow eye drop one?

Yes I meant yellow eye Kole tang....... I notice that the one in the picture is not looking bright yellow is it bcoz of the stress???

Probably even though there's some variability in how much coloration each individual fish will have. Most of the time the fish won't be in their best coloration while at a LFS in a holding tank.

Could be a bit of the stress, especially if they just took them out of the bag, could be diet, could be tank water that is slightly cloudy, could be that most pictures of what you see are deliberately made to look fantastic with colors that pop. I mean just looking at the yellow tang in the picture it doesn't look anywhere close to as yellow as you see in pictures. But I most definitely see the yellow around the edge of the eye, it might not be as bright, but it's there.

One of the most important thing to worry about with bristletoothed tangs IMO is the mouth, since they scrape at the rocks for algae (they do eat fish food too), if their mouth is injured/infected you might want to pass. Not saying the one in the picture is, it's hard to tell, but it does look a bit suspect (could be the angle of the photo too)

Could be a bit of the stress, especially if they just took them out of the bag, could be diet, could be tank water that is slightly cloudy, could be that most pictures of what you see are deliberately made to look fantastic with colors that pop. I mean just looking at the yellow tang in the picture it doesn't look anywhere close to as yellow as you see in pictures. But I most definitely see the yellow around the edge of the eye, it might not be as bright, but it's there.

One of the most important thing to worry about with bristletoothed tangs IMO is the mouth, since they scrape at the rocks for algae (they do eat fish food too), if their mouth is injured/infected you might want to pass. Not saying the one in the picture is, it's hard to tell, but it does look a bit suspect (could be the angle of the photo too)
Naive question but how to check for mouth is injured/infected ?? should we try to feed nori at LFS??

visual inspection is a good first indication, if the "lips" are swollen or have "sores" I would pass.

I'm not really sold on the "if they eat they're fine" (or vice versa), none of my tangs will touch nori.

visual inspection is a good first indication, if the "lips" are swollen or have "sores" I would pass.

I'm not really sold on the "if they eat they're fine" (or vice versa), none of my tangs will touch nori.

Only one out of four of my Tangs eat Nori -- but they eat everything else.

Back