Jestersix

question about LEDs for my new 90 gallon.

JRocha

Supporting Member
So I am getting a new 90 gallon cause I am down sizing from a 240. So what I want to know is how many more reef brite xho fixtures I may need for a sps tank. I have 2 x 48" all blue xhos. So the tank is 48 x 18w x 24h. So since I have 2 all blues how many and what colors should I get so the sps will thrive? Thanks for the help.

i ran 4 blues and 2 white over my 120 and sps loved it ran it for over 2 years til i just broke it down to work on the new display at the shop.....

my tank was a tad on blue side maybe remove one or two blue for 50/50 if you dont want thatreal blue 20k+ look

I was thinking about 2 all blues which I have already and 4 50/50s. do you think that will work or will it be too white.

so should I do my 2 blues that I already have and get 2 whites and 2 50/50s. so I would do the 50/50 , blue, white, blue, white, then 50/50.

So Robert says 6 is too many and Dave says to add t5s. I want to go all led for electric bill purposes and heat purposes. So I will go with 6 xho and if its too much I can remove 1 or 2 and put that as my sump lighting. So robert, do you think that 6 is too much I mean the tank is 24" tall and I plan in having them like 12" above tank.

I just wanna make sure my sps will have enough light as this tank will be completely stocked out the gate. So this needs to be right as all my coral are specialty coral and full colonies so we're talking thousands of dollars in coral.

Brown is better than bleached. Seriously tho, it can be a tough transition sometimes. Buy a par meter and check your current setup and then play with the leds

A little pricey for the par meter so I may ask a lfs to see if I can borrow one. And yeah your right about brown versus dead. It would just suck as my corals are very expensive. Either way I will get 6 total and install 4 on top and two over the sump and add them to the top if they start turning brown.

Here is the new tank stand. So excited.
35b308f8-ce02-4ed8-bf6c-b27f431de471.jpg

+1 on the Par meter.They are floating around the club so someone should have one you could borrow. Not exact, but from experience you won't see the difference between 200 par and 700 so it helps getting an idea of whats where. Just go slow with the lighting .Like Coral Reefer
said brown is better than white.

I am running 2 x ATI power modules that have 8 x 39 watt t5s over the tank now so yeah that's a good amount of light. But ya I will borrow someone's meter when I can.

If you're serious about keeping your animals in great shape that's really the only way you can be pretty sure that the light is close to the same.

Back