Kessil

Questions about 6/1 frag swap

Jhawk01

Supporting Member
Hi all, this will be my first frag swap ever. I am excited to meet everyone who can come. I am a bit nervous though as most of my corals aren’t frag able at this point or I’m just not comfortable enough yet with fragging them. So I have a couple zoa frags that I bought over this last weekend at the cfm and hopefully be able to grow them out a bit before the swap. I just wanted to go with something I know I can get to a decent size in time for the swap. I would just feel bad to put something out there not equal to what everyone else is bringing. 2 of the frags are at about 10-15 polyps and the other is at about 4-6 polyps.I was just curious about what size or how many polyps people tend to bring?

The concern's very much appreciated, but you don't need to worry so much. :)

The general rule of thumb is, "Would I be happy receiving this frag?" To put numbers to it: if I had to guess, I think most zoa frags are between 2 and 5 polyps, and the only rule that's really enforced is when it comes to the bonus/ultra coral. I've never looked at a frag of something at the swap and gone, "Pfft, they should've brought more." (I've mainly thought, "Man I wish I remembered my blue flashlight so I could see what this looks like under blues.")

Whatever you bring - as long as it's free of obvious pests like bubble algae, aiptasia, etc and not on the banned list - will be fine. If you're really worried/aren't able to come up with the frags, you're welcome to ask and I'm sure some kind souls will be able to offer some frags for entry (I know I have a couple I could spare).

Don't stress, come enjoy yourself, and have fun at the swap! This is gonna be a good one. :)

Hey, looking forward to having you at the swap!

Don’t stress too much about the number of polyps. To answer your question directly, for Zoas, generally I would say the average is 3-5.

For myself and many others, bringing a healthy, clean, algae/pest-free frag is much more important than an extra polyp or two.

Also, don’t feel pressured to frag something too small if it’s new to your tank. We want you to enjoy the nice things you’ve picked out.

As I’m typing this I see that Josh has beaten me to this entire message. So hopefully me copying him nearly word for word makes you comfortable and look forward to the swap even more.

You can always just ask if anyone has extra frags for your entry, I honestly wouldn't want to see you frag up some of the nice stuff you literally just got. I'll also admit that for my first swap I just went to the $10 section at my lfs and just grabbed three nice looking ones before I knew that I only needed to ask. Let us know if you need any frags? I and many others would be willing to give you some for entry. The important part is we would enjoy your company and look forward to meeting you.

Thank you guys for your support and kind words. I’m a worrier that’s all, just wanted to see where everyone is at. In time as things grow out I will have colonies of gmks, Miami vices, rr pink diamonds, white zombies, candy apples, pikachus and even some ranchy red bounce mushrooms to share with the group in the future. For now though it’s going to be a 10 ish polyp pandora zoa, 10 ish polyp speckled fire and ice zoa, and a 5 plus polyp of sunny d zoas. It may change by the time we get there. I know I’m just overthinking it, just wanting to make a good impression is all.

Thank you guys for your support and kind words. I’m a worrier that’s all, just wanted to see where everyone is at. In time as things grow out I will have colonies of gmks, Miami vices, rr pink diamonds, white zombies, candy apples, pikachus and even some ranchy red bounce mushrooms to share with the group in the future. For now though it’s going to be a 10 ish polyp pandora zoa, 10 ish polyp speckled fire and ice zoa, and a 5 plus polyp of sunny d zoas. It may change by the time we get there. I know I’m just overthinking it, just wanting to make a good impression is all.
Careful with the pandoras they grow pretty fast, I would be sure to keep them isolated. That's a heck of a impressive zoa list you have. I would be happy to see pictures of then once they are settled in.

Careful with the pandoras they grow pretty fast
I second this! I introduced some Pandora to a section of rock away from my gorgeous Magicians I got from @Invictus and it took them only a couple weeks it seems to grow into their space and shadow them out. I just had a nasty cutting session a few days ago. I still have another dozen or more to cut out. All from a frag of 3 polyps.

Also, this will by my first BAR members only frag swap. I went to my first one at CaliKid recently and it was a blast! I ended up picking up a few frags from CaliKid since I didn't have anything ready for the swap. I'll be buying some frags again for the this swap too.

Careful with the pandoras they grow pretty fast, I would be sure to keep them isolated. That's a heck of an impressive zoa list you have. I would be happy to see pictures of then once they are settled in.
Sorry been wrapped up with getting ready for finals exams next week. I finally just got around to taking some pictures of everything. Everything is a little bit mad because I just moved them onto the plates to try and grow them out a bit better.
1715314407876.jpeg

(sunny d’s and candy apple reds)
1715314490023.jpeg

(White zombies and the gmk’s are mad at me because they got moved)
1715314546062.jpeg

(Pikachu’s and rr pink diamonds)
1715314619414.jpeg

(Miami vice and a new pick up I don’t know exactly what they are looks like bam bams in person)

I would say bam bams I have a square tile of them myself. Very nice collection, I like using the square tiles as well. When you grow them out I would be intrested in buying or trading for a 2-3 polyp frag of the pikachus.

I would say bam bams I have a square tile of them myself. Very nice collection, I like using the square tiles as well. When you grow them out I would be intrested in buying or trading for a 2-3 polyp frag of the pikachus.
Thank you, I would definitely be willing to, it may be a little bit though they are a new addition from the cfm and I have no idea how fast they are going to grow for me. I got the pink diamonds like 2 months ago and they went from 2 polyps to roughly 12plus in that time, but the Miami vices were bought at the same time and they have stayed at roughly the same amount that I bought them at. Growth rates are weird sometimes, it's like my gmks I got from the January cfm and they have grown decently for me in that time. 2 polyps with a baby, to roughly 3-4 main polyps and roughly 6-8 babies. Hard to see in the picture because they are taking over the old plug on all sides

Back