Jestersix

Randy's 2 part

Hi guys and gals! Do any of you use Randy's 2 part solution rather than running a cal reactor? If so, where can i buy the materials locally to make it? Ive checked HD online and lowes for the calcium part but cant seem to find it.

Still doing research on the mag part.

Alk, i guess i can go to safeway and get a bunch of baking soda unless you guys have another recipe or its been updated???

Thanks again you guys ROCK!

tuberider said:
GreshamH said:
BAR Sponsor Aquatic Collections sells bulk 2 part.

Along with Neptune, and Aquatic Central as well.

I use two (three) part exclusively and find it to be cheap and easy.

Good to know... I'll add them to my list when I post next :)

What method of dosing are you guys using? (dosers or manual)? And what would you recommend? Do dosers need some type of controller to be used? Sorry, i been manualy dosing and thinks its time for something automated. :)

it depends how quickly you go through your calcium and alkalinity, if your stony population is rather small or non existent dosing manually might be fine, you probably can get away with dosing it every few days... just don't get lazy like I did and forget for a week at a time :D

As to how to dose, you need (ahem want) some sort of peristaltic pump, Drew's Doser is a great one, I bought one from the company that makes the ones sold to BRS that has a little faster drip rate I think (but it doesn't have the pretty plastic housing and cord). Once you have your pump (one for each substance) you want to find out how fast it goes. I would simply use a cup to time how long it takes to dose the amount you want to dose and be done with it.

Once you find that time, simply hook the doser up to some timer with fairly good resolution (maybe down to the minute or so) and let 'er rip. Some people dose multiple times throughout the day just to make the tanks a tad more stable from the swings, I tended to dose once in the morning.

I know several people using medical dosing pumps. Do a search for dosing pump on eBay. You can get ones that will take 2 pieces of tubing (1 for cal and 1 for mag or alk) for around $80. I am going to be picking one up soon and I will post the link. I am going to run the cal and mag on the doser and the alk on my ato all controlled by an apex.

justins13 said:
I know several people using medical dosing pumps. Do a search for dosing pump on eBay. You can get ones that will take 2 pieces of tubing (1 for cal and 1 for mag or alk) for around $80. I am going to be picking one up soon and I will post the link. I am going to run the cal and mag on the doser and the alk on my ato all controlled by an apex.

If I were you, I would check out Bulk Reef Supply for 2 part dosing pumps. They run around what you're looking for.

Back