Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by RandyC, Sep 13, 2016.
That is in the works.
Time for an update. Been way too long between updates, but I had to follow suit as it seems everyone else is providing an update and it's been so long since I've done so. Loads of changes.
September - November
1. I had my first real reef hiccup and it was a pain. Went on a 10-day vacation at the beginning of September and came back to a nasty mess of GHA. Feeding was pellets once a day by an auto feeder and a frozen cube of mysis or spirulina brine every other day by my neighbor. Nutrients never got crazy out of control it seems as I only came back to nitrates around 25 and phosphates 0.03.
2. At the same time as my GHA issue, there was some serious funk in my tank. Had a few acros RTN/STN and growth seemed to be paused on all acros. A number of them also browned out. I could never figure out what the issue was even after a triton test showed nothing crazy.
3. It took me two to three months to clean out the GHA without chemicals even after getting my nutrients back to a close to ULNS level. I ended up doing a 3.5-day blackout, installing a second algae reactor so that I could have one reactor on all the time. They run on 12-hour cycles each.
4. Adding the second reactor made me realize my bio-pellet reactor wasn't doing much. So that came offline.
5. I took GFO out as well as the second algae reactor made the use of it in my tank obsolete.
6. Tank was finally clean of all GHA by mid Nov.
7. So at this point, I was down to only running carbon, two algae reactors, a skimmer and filter socks for filtration.
November - Present Day
1. Removed all filter socks and went to filter cups with filter pads. So much easier to toss cut up filter pad squares into trash than washing socks.
2. After a series of triton tests, I determined that my calcium reactor wasn't supplying iron or iodide and I noticed that my chaeto growth would stall out without water changes. I believe it was due to lack of iron. So I decided to give these Korallen-Zucht tabs a chance because I'm lazy with dosing.
3. I haven't done a water change since November 6, 2017.
4. I have been seeing good growth and coloration for all coral for the past month or month and a half...probably more than I have ever seen in my tank. I'm finally back in a happy state again after my GHA/"some funk in my tank" mini-fiasco.
5. Removed black backing and added some "mood-lighting" like @Gablami did.
6. Lost my radiant wrasse and mama clowfish to carpet surfing. Added a small yellow tang. Don't start with me tang police.
7. Added the newly released diffusers on my Radion xr15w g4 pros and initially thought they were overhyped by BRS. After having had them on for a month or so, there's no way in hell I could ever look at my tank without them again. The disco ball effect would drive me nuts.
8. Euphillya have all been moved over to the IM 25 gallon lagoon.
Day 501 video
Nice vid. I’m a latecomer to the chaeto reactor thing. I’ve been getting by with nopox and my ATS. But I think I’m going to switch over soon. Maybe DIY, maybe small pax bellum .
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Day 505: Dusting off the macro lens
Rainbow Millepora - This one has been very hardy and has been through all my mishaps since the first CFM in Sunnyvale. Lost it's color a bit during my mini-fiasco, but its colors are back in full force.
Random Aussie Millepora - I've had this wild piece for at least 8 months and it had taken a beating with my mishap in September as well, but is mounting a nice little comeback.
ARC Fireworks - new addition on 1/14/18
Paletta Pink Tip - new addition on 1/14/18
Day 559: Got Chalice?
Some quick iPhone pics of some of the chalices in the Reefer. Aside from a small spike in nutrients that might have caused an STN issue in my red tabling acro, tank has been doing pretty well. Nutrient issue taken care of with a few water changes.
Unknown Chalice from Neptune's (looks like a Goldmeister Chalice)
Miami Hurricane Chalice
OG Mummy Eye Chalice
Very nice, especially the first one
More Day 559: The Sticks
I'm getting some good polyp extension these days. Wish I knew the secret formula so I could keep it forever.
some very good photos!!
Thanks. Just an iPhone and an orange gel filter used.
Like actually? Do you adjust the lights at all during photos ?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No light adjustments.
SO why is it called Pink Floyd if it’s yellow? Pink polyps or something?
Where’d you get that first chalice? I like the fourth one a lot.
I think so.....maybe the colors on mine just suck so far?
It’s a cool coral for sure, sometimes I just don’t understand where the names come from. I like the coral, and Pink Floyd, but I don’t get it.
Not much to update. Tank continues to chug along without so much as a whimper. Must be my reward for having issues with IM 25G Lagoon. I've had this gonipora for a little over 6 months now. I've had a 50% success ratio so far with goniporas/alvepora. I'm just glad the most expensive one is thriving.
That one’s a beauty.