High Tide Aquatics

Rapid tissue necrosis in my purple stylophora (i.e. RTN FTL)

keithschon

Supporting Member
My really big purple stylo colony started dying back to the skeleton. Don't know what caused it--parameters look great, and I haven't changed anything recently. I managed to make a lot of frags cut well above the RTN (it was a huge colony), and I managed to remove the rest form the tank. Took a lot of nervously swinging a hammer to hit a chisel inside a glass tank while being bitten by an angry clownfish, but I got it. I dosed the tank with prazipro, and dipped all the new frags in Coral Rx, and for that matter I dipped as many other corals as I could easily get out of the tank. So far, I don't see problems with anything else, and the frags look good.

Questions:
- Is there any other treatment I should be doing?
- How long should wait before adding new corals, or before selling or sharing all the frags? I'm guessing after a month with no more symptoms I can be reasonably certain that I'm out of the woods, but is that too short?

My really big purple stylo colony started dying back to the skeleton. Don't know what caused it--parameters look great, and I haven't changed anything recently. I managed to make a lot of frags cut well above the RTN (it was a huge colony), and I managed to remove the rest form the tank. Took a lot of nervously swinging a hammer to hit a chisel inside a glass tank while being bitten by an angry clownfish, but I got it. I dosed the tank with prazipro, and dipped all the new frags in Coral Rx, and for that matter I dipped as many other corals as I could easily get out of the tank. So far, I don't see problems with anything else, and the frags look good.

Questions:
- Is there any other treatment I should be doing?
- How long should wait before adding new corals, or before selling or sharing all the frags? I'm guessing after a month with no more symptoms I can be reasonably certain that I'm out of the woods, but is that too short?

RTN is Rapid Tissue Necropsy... are you sure its that? It happens quickly, not over an extended period of time.

Back