Neptune Aquatics

Recomendations ...

Nikon D200 is Semi-Pro, great camera body =) Comes with a fantastic 18-200mm VRII F/3.5-5.6 Nikkor lens.

I only know Nikon, so I'm not sure about the Canon or other brands to give you a recommendation.

My D80 is basically a D200 with the idiot modes. It has the same sensor size, same color management, same review LCD, same viewfinder size, almost as many focusing spots, etc. It's also smaller and lighter.

But if you're looking semi-pro, d200 is the way to go in the Nikon world.

Wow, didn't know that Nikon was still bundling lenses with their upper end cameras.

Hey Dave so I guess no full-frame sensor, huh?

Canon doesn't seem to start have serious functions until they get into the 30D (which I recall is still not 10 M/P).

Their Rebel line is nice, but in my opinion the Rebel line is suitable for beginners. The Rebel line is fine for people who have small hands with stubby fingers (no offense to people who fit that description ;D)

I do not like using cameras unless they feel right in my hand (they have to have some heft in it) irregardless of what great functions or reviews the unit may have.

Now if I only Canon will come out with a DSLR with a titanium body for under $2K 8)

D40x is 10mp, but it's definitely NOT semi-pro. It's very entry level DSLR with some awesome features =)

If you wanted a super powerful entry level dslr, then D40x would be the way to go. But I think he's looking for the Semi-Pro... thus you get into the D200 range.

Semi-pro, D200. Nikon bundles the body with several lenses; my favorite being the 17-55mm f/2.8D AFS.

Build quality and ergonomics wise, there's nothing in the same class in the Canon lineup. The 30D/5D don't have the weather sealing or the heft. The 1DMarkII/III has a lot more heft, but it's part of the pro line up instead.

Eric: Didn't know you can get it with the 17-55!! That's such an awesome lens =)

The 1d Mark III is pretty cool, with that 10 frames per second raw, you'll feel like paparazzi =)

The markII is pretty cheap now, since the mark III came out... possibly find it used or in stock at some of the stores still for lower semi-pro prices (maybe not quite, but closer).

It's too bad nikon doesn't ahve the D3 series out yet...

but he's looking for a semi pro...

those two aren't =/

d50 is discontinued too, though you can find it in some stores still =)

Yup, it was available for awhile with that lens. Was a good deal too since there was a cut in the price of the lens when bought in the bundle.

It's a very nice lens and my main walkaround. :)

There's a lot to like in the Mark III, but the Mark II and IIn are still very capable cameras still. Only time that I even get near them is by going into HSC mode on the 2X when I can hit 8 fps. :D

Well, that goes to show ya, nikon puts out cameras in the low end comparable to what people are looking for in a semi-pro camera =)

The D40x is fantastic ;) It's basically as good as a D80! I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in terms of image quality anyway, it's all about the composition, which can be made easier with the use of a good tool like a d40x =P

Hand pick the lense :D Body only, if you can afford another few hundred for a good lense ($350 or so for the 60mm 2.8 micro/macro Nikkor lense)

The kit lens is pretty darn good for what it does, so if you have no immediate plans for a nice telephoto zoom, then get the kit lens options. I wouldn't recommend the 18-135, since it seems to have a plastic mount vs. metal which is found in all other lenses.

18-55 i heard is good, so is the 18-70mm which I had and sold to Thales/Gresham, not sure who got it in the end =)

If you have a different zoom lens in mind in the near future, do that.

Otherwise, I'd just get the body + 50mm f/1.8D. The 1.8d is only $100, and one of the sharpest lenses nikon makes.

Other goodies you'll need is the memory card (get at least 2gb's or more), and an extra battery.

that should get you started =)

People are starting to put some crazy packages together - check these out

http://thecamerapros.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=94052&gclid=CImuvcXnnIsCFQtpGAodhzWWPw

Think I'll wait a week or so longer to see what falls out ;D

those are pretty cool... though I think they've come with all the combos =P

I would get the package with the 18-200mm. That lens is amazing, you can use it for almost everything. Super wide at 18mm, and super zoom at 200mm... you almost never need to take the lens off!

I shoot 90% of the time with that lens.

http://thecamerapros.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=94090&up=94052

These marketeers are sly - I just checked with them and you do not get a Battery or a charger with this. Imagine ordering it and not being able to use it when it landed!!!!!

Wait, is that the reason why they are so cheap?

The canon 30D is 649, while everywhere else it's a little over a thousand.

Hmmm....never mind I just answered my own question

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14677

Back