Our mission

Red Bug Info

Hi Everyone,

I think I have red bug.
Is there such thing as red bug that is white?
I think I see some minuscule pods in my acros, barely visible to naked eye. You really gotta focus on it and pay attention.
I think this is the root cause of my acros dying. :(
Is starts on the base and slowly go up.
Would the also live in zoas or lps?
What should I do?

Red bugs are easily treated with interceptor.
Do some research and make sure that is what you have.
I doubt red bugs would be on your zoas.
They are red although you may need magnification to see them.

Tumbleweed said:
Not sure, It is hart worm medicine. Just go to a vet tomorrow and ask for a box. They will sell it to you no problem.

Make sure to bring tons of info with you, Dustin Dorton's thread over on reefs.org is a good place to start. Most vets won't give you a script without you having a dog on register, so be prepared.

tuberider said:
Tumbleweed said:
Not sure, It is hart worm medicine. Just go to a vet tomorrow and ask for a box. They will sell it to you no problem.

Make sure to bring tons of info with you, Dustin Dorton's thread over on reefs.org is a good place to start. Most vets won't give you a script without you having a dog on register, so be prepared.
Good call Jeremy didn't even think of that. I have 3 dogs and just go into the vet and ask for it.

So, I read that some people do interceptor treatment every quarter just to eliminate potential issues that can come up, instead of treating only when they see something.
Is it a good practice?
How do I get my pod population back to normal?

IMO no it's not a good practice. Red Bugs aren't as bad as people make them out to be and it seems like AEFW hit that much harder after using Interceptor.

Besides, Interceptor (Milbemycin oxime) is a medication and should be treated as such. Using it willy nilly will eventually create Interceptor (Milbemycin oxime) resistant bugs. It's not just used in the medicating of dogs and cats (think livestock).

How do you get back your pods? Buy them, gather them from other hobbyists, get wild livestock, or live with out :)

Redbugs are a pita but not a big deal imo. I had them a few years back too. They didnt harm corals too much and getting rid of them was super easy. Im so glad I have never run into AEFW.

Back