got ethical husbandry?

Reef Dynamics INS 180 - vs- SRO XP-3000 Super Reef Octopus Skimmer

Which one do you guys think will be better? My total water volume is around 225 Gallons. My range is $500-600, I want to get the best skimmer I can, one that I will not have issues with and will last a long time. The skimmer will be a in sump design.

Thoughts?

SRO XP-3000 Super Reef Octopus Skimmer
Or
Reef Dynamics INS 180

IMO i would go SRO just for the blaster pump

plus the INS-180 is only good for

•Ideally suited for "Mixed Reef" aquarium systems of 180 gallons with a medium/average bio-load
•Ideally suited for "Fish Only" or "SPS" aquarium systems of 150 gallons with a heavy bio-load

Thanks, I was leaning that way too... a couple more weeks saving then I should be able to order it :) and that will be the last piece for the tank atleast to get it cycling :)

I have an SRO. Works great. Highly recommend it.
Make sure to get the version with the bubble blaster pump.
I have the regular (non cone) version.

Talked to a sales rep and asked him about the differences between these two:

Super Reef Octopus XP-3000 (Rated for 300 Gallons) $699
Reef Octopus Super Reef 5000 (rated for 400 Gallons) $609

He basically said the cone design and the flow rate on the pump. BOTH come with Bubble Blaster Pumps.

He said performance would be very close, and that the XP cone design would not be worth the extra money in his opinion.

So the question I'd like to ask you guys should I just save the money and get a larger skimmer? The 5000 has a 10" diameter, while the 3000 has a 8" Diameter. And if I went with the larger sized skimmer wouldn't is skim the total water volume of the tank faster than the slower rated one? Is there such a thing as too much skimmer for the tank? My total water volume is around 235 Gallons.

Ok after several replys, on multiple site, here, reef central. I decided on the Super Reef Octopus 3000INT. It's rated for 300 gallons and it's price was easier on the budget. The skimmer should come in on Thursday or Friday next week. :)

Back