Cali Kid Corals

Reef Safe Angel Fish

Wouldn't it be so awesome if all Angelfish were reef safe? I know some are safe with sps but not so much Lps. I also do know there are some reef safe Angelfish entirely. I am trying to find out which ones they are. I honestly been on a lookout for a nice juvenile Bandit Angel and possibly a scibbled angel but no luck unless i buy one that is big

Watanabei Angels are of the genus Genicanthus as are Lyretail, Lamarck etc. Genicanthus Angels are about as reef safe as they come but not 100%. I just read on RC of some examples that developed taste for LPS.

Dwarf Angels (Centropyge) are pretty reef safe as well, I've had good luck with Coral Beauty, Pygmy and currently my Potters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had 3 dwarf angels but had to get rid of 2 of them - my lemon peel and red flame - as they started nibbling on my corals as they got older. My coral beauty has been OK though....

My Coral Beauty (Centropyge bispinosa) has been great for many (10+) years.
Nice peaceful fish. Great colors. Highly recommended!

I had a Swallowtail Angel (Genicanthus melanospilus) for about 1 year, which I really liked, and seemed to be safe,
but I am a bit suspicious about my hammer coral deaths.

My Bicolor Angel (Centropyge bicolor) I am not entirely sure about. Nothing took a hit when I added it.
I took the risk in hopes it would eat Majanos. Sadly, it did not.

Hope you have a chiller to go with the bandit. They're usually kept in cooler temps, at ~74F, even though some folks have pushed it to 78F.

There's a 4.5" one on LA DD at the moment and I've seen smaller ones offered (2.5").

My Coral Beauty (Centropyge bispinosa) has been great for many (10+) years.
Nice peaceful fish. Great colors. Highly recommended!

What kind of coral do you have in the tank along with? Do you run into any nibbling problems? I've considered a coral beauty for a while, but I don't want it to start going after my coral. A lot of conflicting reports on how they behave. seems like a dice roll to me?

If i keep the tank at 74F may that have an affect on the corals? im thinking of gradually dropping the temp now so they can acclimate to it

Not that I'm aware of. Temperatures can dip into the the mid-70s in Fiji at certain times of the year.

http://www.naia.com.fj/fiji.php?climate-water-temperature-2

Plenty of corals thrive in Fiji so I don't see why you can't drop the temp. Corals have less issues going from warm to cooler waters than the other way around. However, I would still gradually drop the temp.

I would be more worried about corals that get eaten initially and then in the long run since it's always unpredictable with angels.

What kind of coral do you have in the tank along with? Do you run into any nibbling problems? I've considered a coral beauty for a while, but I don't want it to start going after my coral. A lot of conflicting reports on how they behave. seems like a dice roll to me?

Over the years, I have tried pretty much everything except clams. Never seen it nibble.
Right now, mostly softies and LPS, with a few SPS.
(240G tank, lots of random things)

Always a dice roll.
If you feed well, I really think the odds of that fish being a problem are pretty low.

This is a totally different topic but how many fish can i add in a singe month for a 150 g. I know the rule of thumb is 1/2" of fish per gallon? or is that a rumor? thanks loo

I heard younger angels are less likely to eat coral.

Grab an old wild angelfish thats been munching on coral all its life, its probably gonna continue to eat coral in the aquarium.

Younger angels don't have a set routine when it comes to food. They'll basically sample anything that entices them, versus older angels which have a set diet.

As for how many fish to add in a single month, that's really subjective to the tank (how many fish are currently in there, how mature the tank is, how much additional bioload it can process, etc.). If you're gonna go with a bandit, I would definitely TTM and then quarantine it first (as should any fish that you're adding to the tank). Due to that, I would say that it isn't about how many fish you can add to the tank in a single month, but rather how many fish you can quarantine for a 4-6 week period.

Younger angels don't have a set routine when it comes to food. They'll basically sample anything that entices them, versus older angels which have a set diet.

As for how many fish to add in a single month, that's really subjective to the tank (how many fish are currently in there, how mature the tank is, how much additional bioload it can process, etc.). If you're gonna go with a bandit, I would definitely TTM and then quarantine it first (as should any fish that you're adding to the tank). Due to that, I would say that it isn't about how many fish you can add to the tank in a single month, but rather how many fish you can quarantine for a 4-6 week period.

Someone with room at their place could make a pretty penny setting up a centralized quarantine habitat for Bar (and other members.) I know I'd utilize and pay for the service. I have no easy way to quarantine at my place.

There is nothing more frustrating than buying fish for their color and personalities and watching them eat and grow....and then you notice your corals aren't doing that great while seeing some fish nipping at them. What to do?? I did not realize when I started my tank that I could grow corals - started off with all my favorite fish including dwarf angels. After buying a few corals and getting frags from swaps and other members, I was hooked! Some corals did well and others did not. Of course the angels went after the expensive corals like scolys and chalices - not the cheap stuff! It was difficult making the decision to give them up, find them another home and borrowing a fish trap.

I would suggest to anyone getting into this hobby that if you want to keep corals, don't buy any fish that is not 100% reef safe. Don't gamble and you won't have to ruin your rockscape to remove a fish that is eating your prized coral. Yes, you could get lucky and find that one angel that won't eat your coral but why chance it when so many people haven't been so lucky?! Just my 2 cents!!

Back