High Tide Aquatics

Removal of Aptasia?

How can I remove aptasia from zoa colonies? I have some colonies with 2-3 aptasia on them and it's causing the colony to melt. I've tried shooting boiling water at them but it doesn't work. I don't want peppermint shrimp because they might feast my clownfish eggs.

Kalkwasser might work, everything out there just "might work" if they're inside of a colony of zoas, you might want to sacrifice some of the colony, just to get rid of them.

I've got the same problem with a colony. I keep half assing the kalkwasser to spare the surrounding zoas and the Aiptasia pops right back. Might be worth it to just bite the bullet and kill a couple zoas too. They'll grow back. If you do kill zoas, be sure to run carbon!

Gomer said:
I think I remember in the peroxide talk that zoas do well...wonder if aiptasia gets nuked?

Nope, I've been playing with peroxide, and while Aiptasia isn't real fond of it, it does return w/o a problem. Don't use full strength peroxide, 25% dilution of 3% in tank water for 10-15min works great.

I'm with Matt, if you have to sacrifice a couple of heads so be it...

Are you sure Peppermints eat clownfish eggs? I have 3 pepermints and never seen them close to or eating the eggs, but I'll admit I haven't paid close attention since I'm not raising them.

If you really want to get rid of the aptasia try an Aptasia-eating Filefish, remember that they are not always Reef-Safe though in some cases they are.

Filefish are cool and I do want one, but my tank is already loaded with living things and I don't want my bio-load to go up. I'm looking for a method that I can do with things from around the house.

Euphyllia said:
Filefish are cool and I do want one, but my tank is already loaded with living things and I don't want my bio-load to go up. I'm looking for a method that I can do with things from around the house.

then isn't one.....................

Roc said:
Euphyllia said:

What does it MEAN!!!!????

Coral reefer said:
Maybe Frag the zoas and ditch the aptasia? I like to use a flat head screw driver to dig under the aptasia while it's out of the tank

+1, just rinse the rock since little chunks of aiptasia might lead them to grow back.
I've used the Red Sea stuff with positive results, also Kalk but the back chamber is full of them and don't really want to take everything out to exterminate them since they are in a small tank.

Gomer said:
Roc said:
Euphyllia said:

What does it MEAN!!!!????

Sorry I meant to say is THERE isn't one, not then

Coral reefer said:
I like to use a flat head screw driver to dig under the Aiptasia while it's out of the tank, I do it with proper protective gear on i.e. gloves and eye protection.

Fixed for spelling and proper safety precautions.

For zoas yes, gloves and glasses (goggles better). Aptasia? Never bothered... Got any links to stuff about related info? What to watchout for, which corals are dangerous, how they can harm you (do I have to have cuts on hands and get slime in it or what?)Signs of a problem, what to do if?

Back