Cali Kid Corals

Remove mushroom UPDATE: KEEP THEM ALIVE

popper

Supporting Member
Can't scrape them off and don't want to break this nice rock.

What's a safe way to remove them?

UPDATE: these are tequila sunrise shrooms. I think people will want them so I'll start a DBTC. If I wanted to rid of them, there are many sacrificial ways.

20240320_113923.jpg

Last edited:
This is also why I will never put mushroom in my tank (other than a bounce I suppose.)
I also will never put any crab of any kind in any tank ever. :)

Maybe put it in the sump in the dark for a couple days to get them to fully close, then take small bone cutters to chip off little bits by their base without shattering the main rock.

Try an extra power head pointing right on the mushrooms. Most don’t like high flow and will slowly move away or just release. The other corals around them may not appreciate...Or dip the rock in coral dip shaking vigorously thats also worked but stubborn ones just gota scrape em.

What's the potential issue with crabs?
Crabs are omnivores and opportunistic eaters. Most crabs that we consider reef sage are not fish safe if they get the opportunity. When they are small they are fine (although they will try to get a fish) but as they get even a bit bigger fish will sometimes disappear. There are better solutions for clean up crews.

Crabs are omnivores and opportunistic eaters. Most crabs that we consider reef sage are not fish safe if they get the opportunity. When they are small they are fine (although they will try to get a fish) but as they get even a bit bigger fish will sometimes disappear.
Years ago around 2006 my first fish only tanks, I had the large golf ball/baseball scarlet hermits, they killed each other often, and once they got a sleeping fish. Since I've had reef tanks here in the last 3 years i've only had the tiny blue leg/ red leg ones. I haven't seen any bad bevavior but thanks for reminding me to stay watchful. As I assumed only the bigger ones were bad news.

I like the ideas of putting the rock in the dark and/or high flow to loosen the mushrooms enough to get them off the rock. I am going to try an experiment to do both (dark w/flow) simultaneously in a bucket but not assuming it will work for all without harm to the shrooms. As others stated, the best way to get shrooms out of your tank is to not put them in. But it’s hard not to end up with a few over years of frag trading etc.

Maybe put it in the sump in the dark for a couple days to get them to fully close, then take small bone cutters to chip off little bits by their base without shattering the main rock.
Thanks. I'll turn off fuge light and put it in there.

And freeze salt water then use ice to irritate them.

I use the older version of these coral pruners to cut just under the foot into the rock as best I can. It’s a lot of work, and sometimes you cut the mushroom by accident. But after some practice it’s easier and more successful. I’ve collected hundreds of mushrooms this way. If you do it a couple hours after lights-off it’s easier (you can turn lights off early to do this).

Back