Reef nutrition

Roc's 1st Big reef

Roc

Hello everyone, I just started my membership here but I'm sure some of you know me from NR or the NCNRS forums.

I just got a great deal from Jim today and picked up a 120 gal custom Tru-Vu. It was a steal at 300.00 and just what I was looking for to get a big reef going.

I am not "new" to reefing but as are many others always learning. I have a 20 gal reef which I have had a great time with but it's limets are what got me to where I am today.

I am doing this big tank on a buget, but as with everything I am sure I will spend more then I planned when all is said and done.

I will be using a 55 gal tank as a sump/fuge. I am still in the planning stages of the plumbing but as this tank is drilled for 2 1"returns I will most likely go with an Sedra or eheim pump (looked at one today that puts out 1260 GPH at about 4"). I will spilt the flow to 2 bulkheads which exit through oppisite sides of the overflow (see pics)

120galtank4-25-08001.jpg

120galtank4-25-08003.jpg

I hope to empty the 55 gallon (used to be a freshwater tank) this weekend and clean the hell out of it), maybe I will get around to starting to build my stand.

More later

What I was planning with the guts of the overflow, (and tell me if this is what you were discribing) was a 1" tee on the top of the pipe going to the sump, it was discribed to me that this would act the same way my durso HOB overflow (on my 20 gal) works now and if the power died the flow would stop.

For the returns I was going to run 1 1/2 pipe back up that died into 1 1/2 bulkhead pointed at either sides of the tank, hopefully this will give me enough flow that I have no need for powerheads. I thouhgt the other option would be to put y'ed lock lines on both bulkheads to direct flow in 4 directions.

[quote author=Roc link=topic=3622.msg41738#msg41738 date=1209191536]
What I was planning with the guts of the overflow, (and tell me if this is what you were discribing) was a 1" tee on the top of the pipe going to the sump, it was discribed to me that this would act the same way my durso HOB overflow (on my 20 gal) works now and if the power died the flow would stop.

For the returns I was going to run 1 1/2 pipe back up that died into 1 1/2 bulkhead pointed at either sides of the tank, hopefully this will give me enough flow that I have no need for powerheads. I thouhgt the other option would be to put y'ed lock lines on both bulkheads to direct flow in 4 directions.
[/quote]Since you have two one inch bulkheads you can do a silent overflow. If you put two standpipes of differing heights in the box, and plumb the shorter one with a gate valve, you can tune the amount of flow to the point where the shorter pipe is carrying the bulk of the flow yet not drawing any air. The second pipe would be wide open for backup essentially.

AFA your return, I hate to say it buy you're most likely going to have to have some sort of powerhead in the tank unless you plumb a closed loop for a couple of reasons. Number one, you've got a 3/4" bulkhead for you return, from the looks of it you won't be able to drill it out any larger. Second, and more importantly, if you're concerned with $$ achieving optimal flow via return pump wastes a tremendous amount of energy, as well as it is not good for skimmer performance when you cycle your sump too fast, one or two modded maxi jets, or a couple of Koralias won't kill ya.

HTH

Well I was able to sell everything from the 55 gal planted tank over the weekend, and then I tore down the stand.

My kids were around this weekend so they helped me start the build of the new stand. I went with 40" off the ground for maxium viewing pleasure (I figured what does it matter since this tank is 2' high getting in and around in it will be hard no matter what.

I used 4X4's as the legs and notched them for the top 2x4 side braces. I didn't get around to all the cross braces this weekend, maybe some day during the week. I still need to decide what I am doing for the outside and the doors. For sure the front and sides will get wrapped in 3/4" plywood.

120galReefbuild4-27-08006.jpg

120galReefbuild4-27-08001.jpg

Yeah I went by to see Jim and told him I was getting one he just happened to have gotten a deal and was willing to sell it to me for 300.00. I went on Tru-Vu website and they said it should have been 750.00 :)

Well I ended up getting my Bulkheads online. They were a pretty good price from Coral Reef Supply.

I got Item Name: 2 X 1" Bulkhead Threaded for the dual returns, 1 X 3/4" Bulkhead Threaded for the overflow. I thought it would be easier to deal with threaded to and from the overflow/returns. I also got 2 X 3/4" Bulkhead Slip to return the water out both sides of the overflow box. I figured I didn't need a threaded side inside the tank. All of this shipped cost 39.18 shipped

Are you using 3/4" or 1 3/4" for the drain?

There is no way you can go without PHs. Unless you are doing FO. Some of the fish require a lot of flow too.

nice tank . my stand is built tall for viewing as well .

you can skin it with 1/2" and be just fine . I might double up the 2x4's front and rear w/2 nails at (or 3"screws) 4" or so on center . just something to help with the long span .

[quote author=Roc link=topic=3622.msg41810#msg41810 date=1209345753]
Yeah I went by to see Jim and told him I was getting one he just happened to have gotten a deal and was willing to sell it to me for 300.00. I went on Tru-Vu website and they said it should have been 750.00 :)
[/quote]
What's a few hundred dollars between friends?!

[quote author=Roc link=topic=3622.msg41807#msg41807 date=1209339825]I used 4X4's as the legs and notched them for the top 2x4 side braces. I didn't get around to all the cross braces this weekend, maybe some day during the week. I still need to decide what I am doing for the outside and the doors. For sure the front and sides will get wrapped in 3/4" plywood.[/quote]

Might want to get some plywood for the top of the stand too. Acrylic tanks need support for the entire bottom so they don't blow out over time.

[quote author=hooked link=topic=3622.msg41830#msg41830 date=1209357735]
nice tank . my stand is built tall for viewing as well .

you can skin it with 1/2" and be just fine . I might double up the 2x4's front and rear w/2 nails at (or 3"screws) 4" or so on center . just something to help with the long span .
[/quote]

Yea I didn't get ti finish the framing this weekend, but the tank is getting cross braces every 16 inches, and then front and back will have joists (for lack of a better word) along the cross braces.

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=3622.msg41843#msg41843 date=1209378434]

Might want to get some plywood for the top of the stand too. Acrylic tanks need support for the entire bottom so they don't blow out over time.
[/quote]

the top, sides and front will get plywood. I havn't decided on how I want to do the doors yet. I might just do a removable front and avoid any visable hinges

[quote author=Roc link=topic=3622.msg41812#msg41812 date=1209346685]
Well I ended up getting my Bulkheads online. They were a pretty good price from Coral Reef Supply.

I got Item Name: 2 X 1" Bulkhead Threaded for the dual returns, 1 X 3/4" Bulkhead Threaded for the overflow. I thought it would be easier to deal with threaded to and from the overflow/returns. I also got 2 X 3/4" Bulkhead Slip to return the water out both sides of the overflow box. I figured I didn't need a threaded side inside the tank. All of this shipped cost 39.18 shipped
[/quote]This is not a good plan, I'm sorry to say. A single 3/4" bulkhead does not allow for much water movement, and if you max it out (which it sounds like your going to do) you're going to get some serious noise.

Back