Neptune Aquatics

Saddleback Clownfish anywhere?

I got a pair of Saddleback Clownfish at 6 Ave in SF a few months ago. Went away on vacation, snail into overflow pipe, flooded tank, and one of them died.

I've searched everywhere (not 6 Ave again yet because I'm in the South Bay too lazy to drive up), and no one carries the Saddleback. Please let a brotha know if you run across one. Thanks!

They are cheap, but I still never see them in LFSs. I'm not sure if LFS do special orders for fish, especially this one, because they are cheap. $8 each for mine.

Here is a shot of them.

P1000248-vi.jpg

Darn, stopped by Aquatic Central, 6 Ave, Ocean Treasures, Ultimate Aquarium, Seascapes, and Aquatic Gallery yesterday, no luck =(

Also tried Neptune Aquatics, King Aquarium, Aquarium Showroom, Blue Ocean Aquatics, Lucky Goldfish, and Dolphin Pet Village the week before. Aye!

Lucky Goldfish had 3 adult saddlebacks, but he was babysitting for customer! what a tease!

I did end up with a male Lyretail Anthias from Aquatic Gallery as my end of day impulse buy.

Well I'm reluctant to post this because of your emphasis on 'cheap'. And 6th Ave. is the total antithesis of my shop. You seem to really want these fish though. I have 2 CB ORA bonded adult pairs at the shop. They are being sold as pairs only and they're not $8 per fish. They also would probably kill your solitary clown. They are however in perfect shape and we've had them for a few months. There may also be a single in one of the sumps but I can't remember if I sold him.

My best success with fish has been using a BAR sponsor. Many will order for you. I waited several months for a fish and it was well worth it.

I understand the impulse buy all too well, and feel much better about it when I am standing in a BAR LFS sponsor.

Our club sponsors are chosen for how they handle the animals and how they participate in the larger hobby community. Things not visible in the showroom at times. And how they support captive bred when it is available.

Bookfish,

Thanks for offer. If I have time, I may drive up, but I still would like to keep my clown. Sorry for the emphasis on "cheap", I'm not at all cheap, but just thought that many LFS didn't carry them because of maybe low profit compared to all the other types of clowns available, but I stand wrong already, because Chromies and other lower priced fish are readily available.

Erin, also thanks for the offer, but I would love to try to keep my original guy.

I e-mailed Blue Zoo Aquatics, and now I have a better idea of the certain type of saddleback. They said that my coloration saddlebacks are from Papua New Guinea.

Richard, I didn't know how the ordering process worked for most LFS, and I don't want to ask too many LFS and then they all get one and try to call me and I only choose one. Any recommendations on one LFS to ask for? I am usually a Neptune fan, but I'm not sure who's best for special order fish. Thanks.

PM would be good, I don't want to make too public opinion. I support all BAR LFS so far!

I have seen the came coloration from Cebu and other PI regions. I find it strange BZA would say such a thing, but then again, they enjoy a near exclusive on PNG fish so I could see them saying that (falsely)

PNG fish are not cheap. You would not be able to find one of those for $8. When did you get them? That can be telling as well since PNG fish haven't been coming in all that long (2 or so years). Most PNG fish are marked as such as they go for more money. I would expect to pay $20 up on a PNG polymnus.

Check on Quality Marine site. If you see them there I'm sure Derek at Ocean Treasures can order it for you.

But might wanna check to see if a LFS closer to you can order.

sfboarders said:
Check on Quality Marine site. If you see them there I'm sure Derek at Ocean Treasures can order it for you.

And QM is one of the very few importers that receives PNG fish :)

GreshamH said:
sfboarders said:

And QM is one of the very few importers that receives PNG fish :)

What bout JPG or GIF fish? Do you know who imports those? :p

Back