High Tide Aquatics

Saltwater mixing station

Getting ready to build my own mixing station. Will have 2 containers each 25-35 gallon.

Really like those rectangle prizm shape white plastic containers. Anybody know local place to buy? Want to avoid shipping cost.

50-70 gallon water should be 500-600 pounds. Will those metal rack sold at costco like this one strong enough? I may cut the shelves made of particle board in half to allow two contains at slight different height (like 12" difference).

https://m.costco.com/Tennsco-Stur-d...24"-x-84"-in-Sand-Color.product.11244529.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting ready to build my own mixing station. Will have 2 containers each 25-35 gallon.

Really like those rectangle prizm shape white plastic containers. Anybody know local place to buy? Want to avoid shipping cost.

50-70 gallon water should be 500-600 pounds. Will those metal rack sold at costco like this one strong enough? I may cut the shelves made of particle board in half to allow two contains at slight different height (like 12" difference).

https://m.costco.com/Tennsco-Stur-d-Stor-Shelving-48"-x-24"-x-84"-in-Sand-Color.product.11244529.html

Those should be sufficient for stationary storage, but I wonder if it will hold under slight earthquake. I prefer the industrial ones. Rated 2k lbs/shelf.

798461_1wco.gif

I got this shelf from costco 8 years ago. I prefer using it instead of buying a new one. I am going to add 2x4 to support the center between boards.

Anybody know local place to buy 25-35 gallon rectangle food grade containers?

Do u position one container above the other or side to side? Pros for vertical arrangement is gravity feed instead of pumping from rodi container to saltwater container, but a bit scared to raise center of gravity that high.

I started with rodi above the salt water, but soon switched it to side by side. I liked being able to let gravity drain the both into my transport buckets, rodi for ato and nsw for water change. I have a pump that will pump rodi into the nsw container, and I have premeasured 2kg salt bags so I don't need to check salinity. It's always 1.025.

I used 24g Rubbermaid action packers. Standard Rubbermaid will bow out when full. The action packers are tougher and I found them at a good price at Lowes. They are nsf certified.

Gablami,

How high are your containers off ground? Wonder if they have to be higher than 5 gallon buckets for you to fill buckets?

By the way, I plan to study/copy design of one external pump with sophisticated plumbing/valves to meet all water flow needs by turning on/off various valves.

Now wonder if I should use bulkheads or those grommets seals? Should I plumb to the bottom of containers or side for outlets?

This is a photo of how I first set it up:
c5c4860dd7808fece72e46fe623b1419.jpg

Rodi ran into the top container. But I had to run the pump to fill the nsw bucket.

So I brought both bins up to the same level and have the pump to bring water into the nsw container. And both can gravity drain into buckets.

Used bulkheads.

If you really want to get the most out of it, drain from the bottom. Several gallons sit at the bottom that I miss. But it's harder to setup, move, etc.

Anybody know whether "NSF Certified" is same as "food grade"?

Rubbermaid Action Packer does not carry that symbol of glass-and-folk (which means food grade). Also read online postings dated a few years back saying Rubbermaid Action Packer containers are not food grade.

Alternatively, I am thinking about this 50 gallon food grade container. $122 plus tax with free shipping. Pricey, but it is larger, with water level visible, and definitely food grade. I need about 25 gallon salt water and 10~15 gallon ATO water between water changes. Using this 50 gallon container instead of 24 gallon Action Packer, I can keep it full of RODI water all the time, while my brute gets wet only when I need to make salter water.

http://www.ruralking.com/ace-roto-mold-50-gallon-rectangle-utility-tank-sp0050-rt.html

8592d6419102976eab889785f7f5a130.jpg

I got these from cl for $35 each and guy delivered it to my house. They used to hold olives so it's good safe.

Wow, you color matched your house to the barrel's.

Do you make salt water outside? Wonder how you heat it up during winter.

These barrels should work, though I prefer my RODI container to be placed above the salter water mixing brute, so I can use gravity. That means rather high center of gravity for the higher barrel. The 50g ace roto container is horizontal and takes less height.

I make ro I have salt mix inside the house a small 32 gallon brute and dolly works great.

Last edited:
Back