got ethical husbandry?

saltwatersig's tank

I don't think I've ever seen a tank doing better than that! Worth every minute that you've been up to your elbows in that water! :D
Superb tank, Sergio.

Just a few pics of the usual stuff and future dbtc

Iani's Emerald mummy eye
IMG_0464.jpg

miami hurricane (I think, came as a dbtc)
IMG_0466.jpg

RBTA from Pianotips
IMG_0470.jpg

BAR prop chalice (temporary holding for Jonathon/Crabby
IMG_0472.jpg

future DBTC Aussi hammer
IMG_0494.jpg

future DBTC Aussi echinata
IMG_0498.jpg

future sps
IMG_0502.jpg

future sps
IMG_0504.jpg

future sps
IMG_0507.jpg

future sps
IMG_0520.jpg

future appleberry monti
IMG_0530.jpg

purple/ blue sponge from Bill/Cookiejar
IMG_0513.jpg

fts after switching back to Pheonix 14k

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

Lookin' good! How do you track everything, mental note or notepad (or i guess just through the BAR journal)? I don't have any corals yet, but Viet has broke into the barrier of needing to write things down haha

The DBTC stuff is easy since the new updated program to track them keeps a record of whom you got it from. As far as the other corals.....pretty much just mental notes (although each year , more and more of my mental notes seem to get deleted to make room for new ones :) )

Sergio

Hello all

As you know ...my tank has been going through some rough times.....steady decline since Idk ....March of 2010. Started seeing a constant decline in Cal levels (using Cal rx at that time) and no matter how much more additives I would add to buffer it up , within a couple of days it would get low again. Then I got the bright Idea of adding 2 part to increase the levals on both CAL and ALk. Well that turned my tank into a weekly ritual of soaking pump in vinager ( skimmer pumps, return pump, tunzes).

Fast forward 7 months and dosing 1032ml of Cal and 1032 ml of Alk every day (yes that is correct...the only way I could keep params up) and experiancing daily precip on tank glass....My good friend Jeremy said I should dose more Mag and lower the dosing on ALK/CAL.
That did the trick, my old mag test kit had failed me and led me to believe Mag levels where fine and they were not.

From that point on I still had remaining sps, most chalices, and some lps consistantly decline. my live rock seemed dead and started to see more and more hair algae.

About A month or so ago , after numerous water changes and less feedings .....I am know seeing what few chalices remained starting to color back up , A few lokani sps that survived are growing and coloring up as well as most of my lps.

Here are a few pics as of recently, some newly aquired some old

IMG_2897.jpg

IMG_2899.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2919.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2932.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg

looking good Sergio!

This BRS video helped me better understand the role of Magnesium in our tanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI52IyBtjp0&feature=player_embedded

Back