Neptune Aquatics

Setting White Balance

Just curious to see what others are usingand doing to set their white balnce on their cameras when taking pictures of their tanks. I saw an older review by Gresham about the Expo disc and was curious if you still liked it Gresham or if there is something wlse out there that others are using.

My camera specifically has a white balance setting in the menu that automatically configures at any given scene, and it really does knock the blue back a ton. Beyond that a little photoshop adjusting to knock the haze back a bit, and voila! :D

Yes I still like my ExpoDisc. I'd use it if I had a camera. Since I don't it's on it's way to JBNY.

A gray card would be MUCH better then just a white region. using just white tends to over expose the shot IMO.

I have heard diffent methods. One person said to just use a piece of PVC pipe in the tank and adjust the camera to it, but like you said Gresham it tends to over expose the shots. I think I will just retry the grey card. I just need to find it.

I just printed one and laminated it :)

I used to use the PVC method but stopped once I got the ExpoDisc.

I carry this in my bag.

WhiBal_PK_Main_9632.jpg

I don't remember where I got it from actually, haha. I've owned it for years and only really use it for people photography.

For setting custom white balance, a neutral gray should give better results. You could print one out like Gresham or you could go to a home improvement store or paint store and grab one of their gray paint samples.

Back