Kessil

sfboarders first tank 100 gallon

Well change of plans on how I was going to hang the MH's. I was originally going to hand the fixture with bent EMT tubing and I bought all the hardware and borrowed a tube bender from Mario but decided not too because my wife said she didn't want the lights to look like a buffet line. So I ended up building a canopy to sit on top of my canopy. :) I did this because my stand is a 1 piece and I didn't want to cut the old canopy in the house and didn't really want to alter the stand in case when I sell it in the future.

Canopy is made out of 3/4" birch hardwood plywood and held together using pocket screws (so fast and ez to use :)). Door swings using a piano hinge and inside will be painted primer white and outside stained to match current stand.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/canopy1.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/canopy2.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/canopy3.jpg

Company shut down this week so I had time to finally put the canopy and MH together. Also some pics of new fish I purchased from Aquatic Collection. :)

I also have the airking fan blowing straight across (pointed up in the pics because I removed the screen and it made it go up). The reflectors stay pretty cool. Is this correct or am I suppose to point it at the water?

Royal Gramma
royalgramma.JPG

Mystery Wrasse
mystery.JPG

6x54 T5's (old setup)
T5s.JPG

(2) 250W MH on Lumatek 250/400W ballasts in HQI mode
MH.JPG

RB 50/50's and Blue LED's on
5050_Blue.JPG

RB Blue LED's on
Blue.JPG

xcaret said:
Cool DIY mod on the canopy part !!
You extended it for the MH reflectors hu?
TWO thumbs up

Thanks Mario! I had too. That was the only option for me so my lights wouldn't look like the "buffet line" according to my wife. :D I still have the tubing I bent which I'll probably use for the frag tank light.

gimmito said:
Looking good John...how are you liking the Radium 20k's ?

Thanks Jim! Radiums are cool. Don't seem as bright as my T5's but I'm sure they have more punch. I think my center brace might be blocking a lil light though. A lot more bluer compared to the bulbs I had before. The blue is rather nice and I'm not using any RB's when the MH's are on.

Stop by if you wanna check it out. I know you're planning on going with the same setup. You're close by. :D

Reef Keeper said:
Very nice workmanship inside and outside the display. Beautiful. :glasses:

Thanks Joel!

Some more pics. I finally used the top down box. It's been sitting in the closet for awhile. Ian gave me some tips on how to take some photos. Also I visited Matt at Ultimate and bought a CBB. This guy was swimming around and eating mysis. I'm hoping he'll eat the aiptasia and the food I feed him. Hoping he'll last awhile.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/eu1.jpg /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1801.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1804.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1810.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1814.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1815.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1829.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1830.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1832.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_1835.JPG

Back