Our mission

Sfork's 33.6 Gallon Mr. Aqua Rimless

Here's my new tank for the living room! I've made several help posts for it before but I figure It's a good time to start a tank journal. I never resize pictures so if you right click and open the image in a new tab it'll show you the full size version(except this very first picture)

UsVVhl.jpg

165660_499831673537_500043537_6035981_4625541_n.jpg

DSCF1560.JPG

Hopefully I'll have the sump ready by Sunday so I can leak test.

Yeah, I wish i made the returns a bit higher. I made them level with the top of the overflow hole which seemed like a good idea at the time, but the overflow has the hole low in the box.

Really nice setup..
Ive been debating setting up a rimless azoox "The Dark Side" tank

the water level is going to be pretty high?
how far from the top of the tank edge u think its going to be?

it also looks like your gonna need a check valve in the return line...
if you leave the return as it is in the picture...
if the pump shuts off it will siphon back water till the return lock lines can hit air, to break the siphon.. which in your pic is right about the bottom of the overflow box itself.

I used to have a check valve on my system, but I didnt like it. If you are going to use one, dont get the spring loaded one. Its got metal parts most of the time. Use a gravity check with a rubber flap. It does sometimes reduce flow from your return pump, depending on how strong the check valve is. I took mine off and drilled holes in the return piping just below the water line. It works perfect, for power failures and or feeding water change etc. Once the return gets some air, it breaks the siphon off no mess no overflows. :D

Thanks, the water line should hit about 1/2" from the top of the overflow box, so about 1" from the edge. I've been thinking about check valves but I've heard they're prone to failure after awhile. I think first I'll try just arc the locline up and drill a small hole in the loc lines at their highest points to break the siphons. If I am forced to incorporate a check valve I'll have to make sure it's threaded so I can easily replace it if it fails.

Had to use it for something. Here's what I just did a few minutes ago after the silicone cured enough to support the glass, added the other baffle. I'll give it 30 mins then do the last one.
DSCF1562.JPG

It's under over. as in the water goes under then over on the inlet then over under on the return. I just dripped the glue to the bottom for support. (btw the tank is backwards in the picture, looking at it from that picture the inlet and skimmer go on the right and the return is on the left. I was copying this design:

http://www.amazon.com/ADHI-Refugium-Filter-System-chamber/dp/B000Q38PYY

I added the extra baffle on the inlet side just because I had it.

edit: here it is completed and the correct orientation.
DSCF1564.JPG

Back