Kessil

Silica in RODI

Hi,
I was slowly researching chemistry of my tank and recently paid attention that ATI ICP test showed some silica in my rodi water - 26 ug/l. In tank levels are ok according to test - 108 ug/l.
That gives me a point why I might have ongoing diatoms for more than a year - I slowly feed it with top off water. DTS meter shows 0 but I read that silica might not register by tds. Can it be a cause of diatoms? I don’t have super expensive rodi - it’s regular household 4-stage rodi with extra DI canister (one is small horizontal di canister and one is full-size brs color-changng resin). Should I add another stage with anion DI or what other options to remove silicates from rodi?

Thanks,
Eugene

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
First make sure that your DI resins aren't saturated. Ammonia and silica can be purged from resins if it gets saturated.

It could be definitely be a potential reason for your diatoms.

Check out this BRS video regarding ammonia and silica "purge" and for DI resin info and what configurations might work for you.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vide...when-di-resin-is-depleted-brstv-investigates/

Definitely, could be saturated. I will change resin and see what will happen, but wondering how to prevent this in the future since tds meter doesn’t work and looks like there is no good way to test it. Is there any sense of getting test kit? Is so - which one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adding another DI canister is almost good practice anyways. Many people probably want to give "everything they can" out of their existing DI which usually means running it until it HAS to be replace, but as that video Randy posted shows other elements can get "pushed out" even though the resin still is working. Having a 2nd canister allows you to really run that first one "dry", and the 2nd catches whatever gets through, then when it's time to change put the 2nd canister on the first, and put new stuff in the 2nd spot.

Back