Our mission

So how do PNG and Australia deal with Coral Farming and Harvesting?

Greg it seems you got the last part of what I said but given the title of this thread, you missed a couple crucial points :lol:

Australia does not coral farm, it's all wild caught.

While PNG has some pilot coral farms running, they are not shipping so the question is moot about how they deal with farming it. There is no wild coral being shipped from PNG either.

My understanding:

Both PNG and Australia work on TAC (I miss typed that on the other thread) Total Allowed Catch. They run transects, count fish, and something like 1% is allowed to be taken. These transects are continually run and the TAC quotas are subject to change. The collectors report all their catches and where they came from. Once quotas are reached, no more can be collected or shipped. In Australia they even GPS track the boats and the divers are only allowed in certain areas. They figure out how much coral there is, then set a very small quota in terms of what is there, and even that is reached. PNG is set up a little different due to how the government structure is (Government, tribes, etc) but it's still basically the same (minus the GPS tracking part).

That of course is the simple answer, I don;t have time to really get into it.

Interesting.....seems like a reasonable solution. At least environmentally. Not sure how it's impacitng the tribe(s)/village(s) economically. Sometime at one of the meetinngs, if you have a few extra minutes, I'd like to hear a more.

It' amazing how much has changed since I've been out of the hobby for those few years....like all those bizzaro names they have for corals and zoas now. "First Morphic Offering of the JAR Nuclear Orange Tazer Pally"

-Gregory

Better yet Jeremy could book some one from SeaSmart (PNG) like Dave to do a talk at BAR :) Dave is located in Virginia IIRC.

It gives the tribes money they didn't have so on that respect it's a bonus for them. They don't normally go after most the fish we want so it's not taking a food source from them.

Ugh the naming has been around a long time and it's never been something I liked. Purple People Eaters, Garf Bonsia, Leng Sy Cap, Purple Monster, etc are all pretty darn old names.

GreshamH said:
That of course is the simple answer.

Echoing Gresham, there is no simple answer, that's why he doesn't have the time :D

The dynamics of the industry have always been astounding, the flip side of PNG, Australia is that there are perfectly legit divers/collectors working in the Philippines the country that has the worst reputation for fish collection.

I'd say Indo is worse for fish collection now as PI actually has law enforcement and local enforcement "helping" with the problem :) The problem is far more widely known as a problem in PI amongst the citizens then I suspect it would be in Indo where it's not all that old of an issue. Vietnam is up there as well.

But yah, every country has a silver lining :)

I remember back in the day the only choice regarding fish was if they were caught using cyanide or not. And it wasn't really a choice just a hope that the fish you were buying wasn't caught using the poison and collect method. Is that still an issue, do collectors still use cyanide or dynamite?

I would be very interested to have a speaker from SeaSmart come to the club. I have seen their ads and a couple of stories in CORAL magazine. It does seem a bit odd to see someone dressed like this collecting fish for a marine aquarium.

Oh man you believe the dynamite BS :lol: Dynamite is solely used for food fish collection as it KILLS them. If it doesn't kill them, it leaves them with hemorrhaging the blast leaving them unsellable. It's just as bogus as the bleach myth of which is also only used for food fish.

bookfish said:
So, BAR is rich, just fly him in!
That's probably the only way (short of visiting ourselves) to really know what's going on.

It's called WORK and not so much money Jim. You of all people understand this having been an island person at a collection station yourself.

David is just as suitable to give the talk, after all, he overseas everything and SS is his baby.

One thing to keep in mind is that dynamite, hell even bleach is expensive when you do a cost analysis relative to the price of fish, regarding cyanide, that's real expensive..

It is and an excellent way to keep some one on your team. Sure sure you can have credit at the COMPANY STORE ;)

True, or "it's going to be a bit longer before the boat shows up to take you to your family that you haven't seen in months, keep swimming!"

GreshamH said:
Oh man you believe the dynamite BS :lol: Dynamite is solely used for food fish collection as it KILLS them. If it doesn't kill them, it leaves them with hemorrhaging the blast leaving them unsellable. It's just as bogus as the bleach myth of which is also only used for food fish.

Ya it didn't seem very smart or easy to use TNT, glad that's not true. What about the continuing use of cyanide? Still happening?

Wait, they use bleach to catch food fish?

Yup as both Jeremy and I mentioned, it's still used all over the planet. Indo, PI, Bali and Vietnam are amongst the worst offenders.

Florida divers aren't so squeaky clean either as they get permits to use Quinaldine. What actually permit them to use dope :(

Back