Our mission

Spam spam and more spam!

Yeah, how does this even happen? Someone's computer gets a virus that tracks their keystrokes and then gets their username and password for this site and takes over their account here? Shouldn't we just be able to report it to mods and have their account closed/banned and send them an email saying they need to make a new password or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know how it works, but I do find it annoying!
Denzil, can you make more difficult to post here?
Maybe a series of reef related questions before a post may be submitted?

I reviewed the spam settings on the board and made the following changes:
  1. Increased the amount of time for a user to complete the registration before they are flagged as spam. This should help control spammers that are just copying and pasting their email addresses and other info.
  2. Enabled Akismet spam check for any messages posted by newly registered users. This should block messages from new users that contain typical spam text.
I think that this should help decrease the amount of spam messages that we see on the boards. I'll need a few days to see if it is working.

That was the one thing I loved about Maui, the variety of spam they had! Bacon spam, hickory smoked spam, teriyaki spam, jalepeno spam, spam with cheese, chorizo spam... whooboy!

Thanks Philip!!
I reviewed the spam settings on the board and made the following changes:
  1. Increased the amount of time for a user to complete the registration before they are flagged as spam. This should help control spammers that are just copying and pasting their email addresses and other info.
  2. Enabled Akismet spam check for any messages posted by newly registered users. This should block messages from new users that contain typical spam text.
I think that this should help decrease the amount of spam messages that we see on the boards. I'll need a few days to see if it is working.

It appears spam has decreased from 2-3 per day to one per day over the last couple of days. However, I agree it's still not perfect. I've added some spam terms into the backend so that new users get flagged when they use terms like "weightloss" and umm... other things.... This should work in addition to all the other measures.

I'll keep an eye out for spam and keep adding to this list as things get through.

... make that 4. 4 that made posts but didn't get posted to the public. just noticed them now.

Making improvements at least.

When they do get through, can you look for keywords that would likely never normally be mentioned on this board and add them to the "spam phrases" section on the backend? It's under Options --> Spam Management. Just put a new word on every line.

Making improvements at least.

When they do get through, can you look for keywords that would likely never normally be mentioned on this board and add them to the "spam phrases" section on the backend? It's under Options --> Spam Management. Just put a new word on every line.

You bet. I'll do that the next time I see one come through.

Back