Jestersix

Sponge- black with bluish/ white tips

Over the past year I've noticed this sponge in the back of my tank, growing up arms kind of like cactus. I don't know where the sponge came from, perhaps it's from the DBTC for the Black Branching Sponge ( http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/7489). No matter where it came from it's pretty neat- it grows upwards like a tree, moves a bit in current and has blueish white tips, especially to the top branches. The body is very dark and looks black to me. It's middle to high in my tank right now so it can take light. I have to thrown in one of my favorite aspects of sponges- they're immune from LPS sweepers. :D
If you want a piece, I can cut a few branches off and deliver at the frags swap in August. Standard DBTC rules and pick a # from 1-20.

Edit: Be sure to read this thread before taking a piece so you are educated on it and any possible issues with it. If anyone is uncomfortable with it and doesn't want a piece, I'm not offended. :) 2 experpts to be aware of from this thread are:

From Tuberider:
One thing to note about this sponge, is that it either has a symbiotic relationship with gram positive bacteria or consumes it as it is one of the only things affected when I dose EM into tanks, keep that in mind. Not to say that we all use EM, I rarely do, however, from a propagation standpoint I feel obligated to share my experiences.

From Gresham:
Also note: some people are very allergic to this particular sponge. I know several that are and one that can not even put his hand in a tank where the colony has been messed with in any manor.

One thing to note about this sponge, is that it either has a symbiotic relationship with gram positive bacteria or consumes it as it is one of the only things affected when I dose EM into tanks, keep that in mind. Not to say that we all use EM, I rarely do, however, from a propagation standpoint I feel obligated to share my experiences.

tuberider said:

That sounds important, can you break it down? What is EM, is there a negative outcome?

Also note: some people are very allergic to this particular sponge. I know several that are and one that can not even put his hand in a tank where the colony has been messed with in any manor.

tuberider said:

Erythromycin is a broad spectrum macrolide that binds with 50S subunits, so it might not be limited to gram positive strains. ;). A powerfull one at that too considering its uses. (everything from STDs, lyme disease, and even anthrax) so if EES dosn't kill this sponge, how much more can it take?

to the OP: In the spirit of DBTC i find it great that you've chose to share your specimen, but with what has been stated i cant help but to be concerned. From what Gresham has explaine this particular species had the capability of affecting histamine receptors....depending on an individuals level of sensitivity to this specimen, Tx would be very limited. There are little known protocols for reactions caused by marine life in most clinical settings, so please proceed with caution.

In no way am i trying to hate on your sharing, but you may want to tell any hypersensitive DBTCers to have an Epi-Pen on hand :D

Interesting article about sponges and their prodigious consumption of carbon.
http://coralmagazine.coverleaf.com/coral/20100102#pg5

finalphaze987 said:
tuberider said:

Erythromycin is a broad spectrum macrolide that binds with 50S subunits, so it might not be limited to gram positive strains. ;).

It wouldn't kill Cyano if it didn't ;)

finalphaze987 said:
tuberider said:

Erythromycin is a broad spectrum macrolide that binds with 50S subunits, so it might not be limited to gram positive strains. ;). A powerfull one at that too considering its uses. (everything from STDs, lyme disease, and even anthrax) so if EES dosn't kill this sponge, how much more can it take?

to the OP: In the spirit of DBTC i find it great that you've chose to share your specimen, but with what has been stated i cant help but to be concerned. From what Gresham has explaine this particular species had the capability of affecting histamine receptors....depending on an individuals level of sensitivity to this specimen, Tx would be very limited. There are little known protocols for reactions caused by marine life in most clinical settings, so please proceed with caution.

In no way am i trying to hate on your sharing, but you may want to tell any hypersensitive DBTCers to have an Epi-Pen on hand :D

No problem, I edited the original post to add a warning.

+1 for hands getting all stung up and puffy after messing with this stuff.... it's not the end of the world though, and there are plenty of other corals/nems that cause reactions anyway. Tis a very neat addition to a tank imo. :)

Sponge frags goes to:
Coral Reefer, Zepplock and Nudibranch. See you at the swap.

When I cut up the sponge if I get any reaction I'll post here.

Back