Jestersix

Stand Without Bottom: How to Protect Floor?

Our first tank was all new equipment and I wanted to get it up and running quickly, but this time around I'm taking my time with a smaller scale, cheaper tank. I found a re-built 40 bowfront stand which I'm re-purposing for my new 40 breeder build. The stand doesn't have proper access to allow getting a sump in/out - so the previous owner removed the bottom of the stand.

This allow you to put the sump in place and put the stand on top of it, which is easy enough.

However, I'm trying to figure out what I should do to protect the floors and seal up the stand/sump area. Should I put down some kind of platform under the stand? I was tempted to cut out a rough plywood section and maybe line it with some kind of waterproof material for limited coverage.

Any advice is appreciated.

Air movement is your greatest ally when it comes to protecting your floors from any wetness.

I'd worry a bit about a floorless sump though, that floor also provides some stability to the whole tank, now it could be fine, but overall it might be what is ultimately holding all the sides/legs together as one unit.

If you're going to build a new floor part, then you absolutely want it waterproofed inside if it's sitting on the floor, if not you could just build a tiny stand (1-2" tall) for the sump, that way if there is any spills you can blow air under it to get the floors dried up in a hurry.

Air movement is your greatest ally when it comes to protecting your floors from any wetness.

I'd worry a bit about a floorless sump though, that floor also provides some stability to the whole tank, now it could be fine, but overall it might be what is ultimately holding all the sides/legs together as one unit.

If you're going to build a new floor part, then you absolutely want it waterproofed inside if it's sitting on the floor, if not you could just build a tiny stand (1-2" tall) for the sump, that way if there is any spills you can blow air under it to get the floors dried up in a hurry.

I could be wrong but I think the stand still has the frame running around the perimeter of the base of it. from the outside it looks like a normal stand but looking inside you could see the floor.

I had a stand like that years ago for a 120 gallon freshwater tank but it didn't have a sump. We had carpet that it sat on and just stored stuff under it. I'm assuming it's a wood floor under yours? I think the shower pan liner would be overkill but it would work.

If you're thinking there's only going to be small amounts of moisture you can simply raise it off the floor an inch or two so that it has airflow to allow evaporation.

I found a large rubber anti-vibration mat I bought for use in my last sump and tried spreading this out under the stand. I'm hopeful this will provide a solid base and keep small spills off the wood floor. I agree that keeping the area raised/vented would be better but I don't have a good plan for that yet.

I finally bought a sump last night, but I realized it's 30x16x15 and may just barely fit in this stand. If it doesn't fit in the stand I may have to scrap this and get a custom stand built locally.

For every indoor tank with a sump, I have always made a shower pan liner. If you miter the corners and clamp them while the glue sets, the pan will actually have enough rigidity to stand up inside the stand. I've been glad for every single one of these that I have built; there is always a spill sooner or later.

Back