Jestersix

Starting to Stock School Tank

MolaMola

Supporting Member
(Wasn't sure where to post this)
Hello. We are starting to stock the 105g tank in my science classroom at Sequoia Middle School in Pleasant Hill. We set it up last April with Florida liverock, sand, two big flower anemones and TONS of inverts. So far it has a couple gorgonians (came with rock), little cup corals growing on the rock, and pink Kenya tree frag from a club member. Xenia and GSP frags were carried off by an urchin and sometimes make an appearance so I know we need to mount securely. Picking up a chalice today (thanks wpeterson!) and on Tues students will examine and add a few LPS on hold at a LFS.

Several members have offered frags to us which is very exciting. I also don't want to rush too much. We just got BRS dosers for Alk and Ca but they are not going yet.

What corals are common in our area that I might be able to acquire from club members and swaps? With this info I can spend grant money on different corals and will have frags others would like in the future.

I have a bunch of Frog spawn that you are welcome to if you like. Hardy LPS that does well under a lot of different lighting conditions.
7462c37a0113fb050edabf60bef8bce5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have some extra Zoas from a tank tear down package deal that I purchased. I'll be fragging them and either dbtc or giving them away depending on what they are. I'll hang on to some for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSP, green star polyp is a really nice addition, have seen it on the back wall covering most if not all of it and gives the tank a nice look; specially the "neon" green.
Pom-pom xenia also looks amazing on the back wall, I met a guy a while back, he had the back of a Biocube full of pom-pom and it (the back wall) looked, well, alive!
GSP has to be kept at bay since can overtake with ease anything it can attach to.
Frogspawn is a cool addition and duncans too

Any of these common at frag swaps?
Turbinaria reniformis (pagoda coral?)
Turbinaria that looks like a disc/plate shape
Pectinia (any type)
Yellow polyps
Pavona (cactus?)
Heliopora coerulea (blue skeleton)
Alcyonium (colt - slimy not leathery)
Pachyseris
Monti - purple/brown with green edge
M. efflorescens (solid like a disc or table)
Tubipora musica (organ pipe)
Nemenzophyllia (fox? kinda like euphyllia but overlapping water-swollen cabbage lobes)
Caulastrea (trumpet/candy cane)
Sinularia dura (leathery cabbage leaves)

Coral Reefer - I wonder if the green nephthea has been floating around the Bay Area for years and was put back into the wild from here.

I have some candy cane. I have regular green & neon/kryptonite green. If you adventure through San Jose and want some, let me know.

Back