got ethical husbandry?

Stock list for a 40 breeder?

I just bought a new 40 breeder recently and I'm trying to figure out what to stock it with. I'm pretty sure I want a royal gramma and a yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair. I don't know much about chromis or damsels, but are there any there are relatively peaceful? Also, I will mainly be keeping softy and LPS corals. All input appreciated

The goby/shrimp pair is an excellent idea! Their behavior is very entertaining to watch! I do not have any personal experience of those other fish you mentioned. However from what I have read, royal gramma can be territorial, but should do ok if they are added last. Damsels are thought of as kind of mean and are best to stay away from in my opinion.

LOL! It's funny how deceiving those movies are. I was thinking of mayyyyyybe getting a small tomini tang and selling him when he gets to big, but I would rather keep my fish for life, so I don't think I will do that. I think I want a flame angel as well. Does anyone have any experience with flame Angels picking at corals? And also, what's the order I should add everything, I know I should add the angel last

Chromis are nice. Peaceful, and always swimming around in the upper level, but an sometimes fight each other.
Damsels are mean, avoid.
Firefish are nice, but very timid.
Suggest a coral beauty over a flame if you want a dwarf angel. Better behaved in my experience.
Most gobies are good.
Royal Gramma is great, but make sure it is not a Bicolor Dottyback.
Very similar, but dottybacks are pretty mean.

I have a royal gramma, and it's a great fish, not aggressive at all. But, it did excavate a hole under a rock and dump sand all over some low lying corals.

I agree with Mark (@rygh ) above! Damsels are mean and rarely die. Originally had 3 dwarf angels: coral beauty, flame, and lemon peel. Had to give away flame and peel as they starting nipping at corals as they got older but the beauty has been fine.

My 40gallon breeder

1 2-inch blue tang (come and get me tang police!)
2 2-inch clownfish
1 2.5-inch leopard wrasse
1 2-inch orchid dotty back
1 0.5-inch clown goby
1 2-inch midas blenny

I try to get fish as small as possible. The blue tang was 1.5 inch last year. She does just fine. If you do want a blue tang get a x-small blue tang. It will be fine for at least 2 years in a 40 breeder. But then you gotta get a bigger tank ASAP.

Instead of focusing on some arbitrary ratio between tank size and blue tang. Focus on how the blue tang behaves. Do not have more than one tang, they will fight. Is it interacting with its environment or is it swimming nose to glass pacing back and forth? They do need more swimming space because they are strong swimmers but dont listen to the hivemind about needing 400 gallons for a 2 inch blue tang.

Wow enderturtle, livin life on the edge :p. I really love how the blue tang looks, It has always been one of my favorite fish, but I'm not exactly sure how quickly I will get to buying my 'dream' tank of around 200 gallons. My own house has to come first lol. Maybe I will get a really small yellow tang or something, that would seem more feasible

UPDATE: I added a yasha goby and a candy cane pistol shrimp. They both almost instantaneously disappeared, but I still hear the shrimp click occasionally, so he's fine, and the goby comes out often and has claimed the back glass as his territory. Pretty cool goby, but he is so shy! I think I'm going to give him quite some time before I add my next fish, which will be a royal gramma

UPDATE: I added a yasha goby and a candy cane pistol shrimp. They both almost instantaneously disappeared, but I still hear the shrimp click occasionally, so he's fine, and the goby comes out often and has claimed the back glass as his territory. Pretty cool goby, but he is so shy! I think I'm going to give him quite some time before I add my next fish, which will be a royal gramma
I just added yasha/pistol as well and havent seen them since I added them a week ago...

If you want to do a Tang go with a Yellow-Eyed Kole Tang. Excellent at algae control and they won't outgrow it -- although it will become a pretty significant bioload for a 40 that might limit another fish or two.

So I think I'm done stocking this tank. Moved the yasha and pistol to my 20l with 2 of my clowns. Schmitty, mine hid at first, but then came out later. Very hardy fish, I would imagine he probably munches on pods when hiding, because he never looks skinny. Currently stocked with: midnight clown, naked clown, green chromis, sapphire damsel, and ternatensis mantis shrimp, plus lots of corals

Back