Our mission

Stocking list for 12gal

ok well looking for a few idea's on stocking list for our tiny tank well i guess its not that small but it is when your used to a tank over 100gals

i was thinking
firefish x 2
chromis x4
goby or mandrin x 1
onyx clowns x 2

i dont think this is too much for the tank but let me know if it is i dont mind being put in my place i have atleast a month before i start to stock

ok well how about
firefish x2
goby or mandrin x1
Purple Pseudochromis
and maybe something else

9 fish in 12 gallons isn't a lot? I would rethink that :D

the Chromis will most likely bully anything when one gets to any sort of appreciable size.

If it were me with a 12g, I'd stick with the clowns and maybe a goby.

firefish x 2
chromis x4
goby or mandrin x 1
onyx clowns x 2
I think this would end up being 1 chromis and a pair of clowns when all was said and done. Firefish can't compete w/ clowns for food
chromis kill each other off till there's one king
mandarins are notorious for dying in sm tanks
and the onyx percs will kill whatever isn't dead by the time they start breeding.
Sorry to be a buzzkill but it's better to know up front.
I'd go w/ the onyx pair but I'd try get a goby established first, then introduce the clowns.

The firefish was listed first in both lists. I am not familiar with this fish. Would there be enough space to keep two in a tank that small? The one thing I do know is it will need a full cover to keep the firefish safely inside.

I had a rainford goby and liked it very much. It ate completely off the live rock in a 36 gal so I was not adding food for the fish until I added other types. I waited about three months to add the first fish so there was plenty to eat on the rocks by then. I tried a Skooter blenny, same diet as a mandarin, and it did not make it. One of my poor choices early on. Congratulations on asking here to try to avoid the regret of a poor choice!

yea firefish do pretty well in most all tanks as long as they have some kind of rock work that they quickly dart into
and yes this tank does have a full cover and i have had great luck with mandrins and scooter blenny eating frozen food

gingin12 said:
yea firefish do pretty well in most all tanks as long as they have some kind of rock work that they quickly dart into
and yes this tank does have a full cover and i have had great luck with mandrins and scooter blenny eating frozen food
I beg to differ. Firefish may do ok short term by darting into rockwork to avoid more aggressive tankmates (and practically everything is more aggressive than a firefish) but over time they simply can't compete well for food unless the community is super mellow. And I congratulate you on being lucky with your past mandarins and scooters eating non-live food. But I assume you're looking for recommendations of what 'should' do well, not what 'might' do well, if you're lucky. HTH-Jim

bookfish said:
gingin12 said:
I beg to differ. Firefish may do ok short term by darting into rockwork to avoid more aggressive tankmates (and practically everything is more aggressive than a firefish) but over time they simply can't compete well for food unless the community is super mellow. And I congratulate you on being lucky with your past mandarins and scooters eating non-live food. But I assume you're looking for recommendations of what 'should' do well, not what 'might' do well, if you're lucky. HTH-Jim
Ditto

I also apologize for the buzzkill. In my opinion, that's a ton of fish for a 12 gallon (JBJ nanocube I assume). I would stick to only 2 fish and perhaps some snails and a hermit crab. If you're running a nano cube you're probably not gonna be able to fit a good skimmer in there so you'll end up with lots of algae problems if you over stock. Also, the fish need their space and 12 gallons really isnt much room for that many fish

Also, I would DEFINITELY stay away from the Mandarin. Training them to eat pellets (or whatever) is virtually impossible in a 12 gallon since they need to eat live foods during the time it takes to train them. A mandarin will plow through all of your live foods in a 12 gallon in 2 or 3 days.

Finally, would stay away from the Orchid Dottyback (as well as any pseudochromis) if you plan on having other fish in there. They will kick some serious ass in an aquarium that small. I used to have a 12 gallon nano and I kept Orchid in there and tried to keep a firefish along with it (bad idea jeans: http://www.hulu.com/watch/10310/saturday-night-live-bad-idea-jeans). The firefish lasted only 2 days and got tagged more often a liquor store in the Mission. The only fish that could hang with the Orchid was a damsel--it was too fast to get picked on.

My 2 cents,
Patrick

well it looks like we are just gonna put a clean up crew of snails in it made of nerite, cerith, nassarius snails and plan on addind a cleaner or fire shrimp
then prob just 2-3 fish
looks like we are leaning towards some fire fish and a goby of some sort

Back