got ethical husbandry?

Stunner LED's

I just received two Stunner, daylight LED strips to be used in my fuge. I'm hoping to keep the mangroves happy and healthy as well as a nice ball of chaeto. They leave much more room for the mangroves than the original Home Depot 5100K flood CF that they replace. Interesting setup, strips are 24v and can be ganged up to 6 stips to a single 24v transformer. I'm gauging that two stips ought to provide sufficient PAR to keep the fuge going. I'll post some pics as soon as they are up and running.

I really want to see pics of your fuge, sounds awesome. My parents live in Florida and they are sending me some red mangrove sprouts and seeds. They live on an island and know someone who cultivates. What kind of mangroves do you have, how did you get them, how are you growing them, rooted in sand or mud?

Thanks John!

Hey Roc,
Jon, JAR gathers mangrove starts like Jonny Mangrove Seed. He may be able to hook your up. Mine took about 3 months to come out of hybernation. They grow slowly but consistantly in the sump. The Stunners are a low output LED with about 25 LED's in each 6w strip. I hope they provide sufficient light. That's my only concern. Thought it was worth a go as size is perfect for my sump area.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecoxotic_12.5_Inch_Stunner_6_watt_LED_Strip_Linkable_LED_Light_Fixtures-Ecoxotic-XX08010-FILTFILDLK-vi.html

r0ck0 said:
I really want to see pics of your fuge, sounds awesome. My parents live in Florida and they are sending me some red mangrove sprouts and seeds. They live on an island and know someone who cultivates. What kind of mangroves do you have, how did you get them, how are you growing them, rooted in sand or mud?

Thanks John!

Jon's are the red variety, however, the fast growing blacks will be hitting the country soon and may be a little more effective means of nutrient export. I have a couple of the reds living in my overflow with no substrate.

PS Greg: nice interface for the Apex. So now its my job to help keep an eye on your tank! :bigsmile:

Also, my mangroves are wedged between a big piece of LR and the corner of my sump with no substrate either.

tuberider said:
r0ck0 said:

Thanks John!

Jon's are the red variety, however, the fast growing blacks will be hitting the country soon and may be a little more effective means of nutrient export. I have a couple of the reds living in my overflow with no substrate.

Well the Tunze ones are, but black mangroves have been seasonably available for years (from Florida - PM if you wan the source). The Tunze ones are from this country BTW, Texas, and I suspect they'll loose any harvest rights given the impact BP has had on that shoreline (and will for many years to come).

The Wordless Workshop :) :
P1000685.jpg

P1000687.jpg

P1000698.jpg

P1000693.jpg

P1000691.jpg

P1000688.jpg

I've REALLY got to get a PAR meter! :|

Now seriously! Does anyone know where I can locally get a Apogee MQ-200 PAR Meter for $335 or under?

Just askin' 0:)

Nope... simply order direct from the company, that is how most get them and the best way to get your warranty covered ;)

The folks I bought my Photon plus fixture from (Aquarium Specialties) on the east coast carry this in stock. I may continue my patronage to them on this one as they've always done a good job for me. That's where I became acquainted with TECO Seachill chillers with optional integrated heater. I'm in trouble when I get the point where I "really want one".

I would order direct. If you have any issues going through Scott to contact Apogee just sounds like a real hassle.

All three units I bought I bought direct.

Love those stunners, they really save space. Curious to see the PAR output and if growth of macro algae is more, less or same.
PM me if you want to borrow my PAR meter.

GreshamH said:
tuberider said:
r0ck0 said:

Thanks John!

Well the Tunze ones are, but black mangroves have been seasonably available for years (from Florida - PM if you wan the source). The Tunze ones are from this country BTW, Texas, and I suspect they'll loose any harvest rights given the impact BP has had on that shoreline (and will for many years to come).

We need to get to propagating those buggers STAT!

Roger just told me yesterday on RB that his coastline is A OK, no oil.

Well my dad is sending me a box of reds. I hope to have to plenty to share. Maybe I will bring them to the frag swap as freebies.

Like I told Jon, careful talking about this online openly. It's not exactly legel to ship plants into CA from Florida (pests) IIRC. You also can not take any pods that have sprouted IIRC (FLA F&W issue)

GreshamH said:
Like I told Jon, careful talking about this online openly. It's not exactly legel to ship plants into CA from Florida (pests) IIRC. You also can not take any pods that have sprouted IIRC (FLA F&W issue)

Thanks for the warning, I didn't know that. From what my Dad says they are grown on a nursery/salt bay. So I assume they are legit in growing and selling with permits and everything. As for shipping to CA, I'm sure the supplier will be able to let me/my dad know if thats gonna be an issue. Knowing my Dad he isn't gonna ship them if its not legal.

Back