High Tide Aquatics

Suggestions: Tank Bred Fish

East bay, N-S:
Diablo - Concord
Aquatic Collection - Hayward
The place in Union city (forgot name :( )
Reef Raft - Fremont
Neptune - Milpitas

SF:
Lucky Ocean on Balboa

Peninsula:
AquaExotic - Belmont

----- End brain dump ---------

No matter where you get them, make sure you QT!

Thanks. Been to most of those in the EB. Putting together my wish list and want to start with tank bred species where possible. QT is almost cycled.

Aquatic Collection just got in a whole shipment from Sustainable Aquatics (tank bred). I think most were clowns, but there were some other species as well. I believe they listed some blennies.

To get an idea of what captive bred fish are available in the hobby, you can go to ORA's website and look at their fish. A lot of the local store order from ORA, so you could always request a specific fish.
http://www.orafarm.com/products/fish/

East bay, N-S:
Diablo - Concord
Aquatic Collection - Hayward
The place in Union city (forgot name :( )
Reef Raft - Fremont
Neptune - Milpitas

SF:
Lucky Ocean on Balboa

Peninsula:
AquaExotic - Belmont

----- End brain dump ---------

No matter where you get them, make sure you QT!
The one you forgot the name of is Baja Reef :) Used to be Atlantis Aquarium. Oh and you forgot about Aquarium Concepts in Dublin. They've got a pretty large selection of fish and they order from SA.

Thanks Felicia. That's perfect info to start with. Anybody with personal experiences or recos with particular species?
Personally, I've only had captive bred clownfish and neon gobies. Clownfish are obviously great fish, with fun personalities and are very hardy. Neon gobies are a nice little pop of bright color and they're fun to watch cleaning the larger fish in the tank. They're tiny though, so they can be hard to spot in a big tank.

Thanks Felicia. That's perfect info to start with. Anybody with personal experiences or recos with particular species?
I try to buy tank raised fish and aquaculture corals as much as possible. I currently have an ORA Randall's Assessor and an ORA Red Sea Mimic Blenny. Both are awesome fish.

I had Aqua-Exotic order them from ORA and then I picked up the bags before the fish went into their tanks at the store.

FWIW here is about the most up to date list of Captive bred MO fish. Please note some of these were ones offs and aren't yet done on a commercial scale. There are several large and highly productive MO farms in the US alone. Fish Eye Aquaculture, ORA, SA, ProAquatix, Midnight Aquaculture, etc are all bigger players.

I just ordered an ORA Yellow Watchman Goby. More expensive than wild-caught, but I'm trying to make my tank 95% sustainable (the 5% is for hermits, snails, shrimp).

Back