High Tide Aquatics

Sump help (on my upcoming 40B)

Nav

I recently got a used 40B that came with an almost new TRUVU Platinum Series Refugium 75.

While I'm going to put the system in place in the next day or two, I wanted to make sure I have the right sump setup. I've never had a sump so I really need some inputs here (only seen a few videos).

Here's what I'm looking for/questions:
  1. I have a BH-100 HOB skimmer and want to continue using that in here (since its pretty new)
  2. Need a Refugium for sure
  3. Filter media... How does it go in here? Reactor? Media basket? Just toss in bags?
  4. I purchased a filter sock that sits in the first chamber... (does water from tank go inside it)?
  5. I have two outlets from the tank (herbie method), so does both the outlets go into the sock?
  6. The 2 standing pipes connecting to the bulkhead inside the overflow (to silence), should they be same heights or higher/lower?
  7. Whats that thin 1" space between chamber 2 & 3?
  8. Trying not to make any mods to the sump for now
Would be great if I can get a breakdown of what could go in each chamber...

yhst-32494300360055_2267_11825960.jpeg

Hey @Navdeep, my responses are below, in bold. Hope this helps.

1. I have a BH-100 HOB skimmer and want to continue using that in here (since its pretty new) That's probably fine.
  2. Need a Refugium for sure Your large center chamber might be able to be used as a refugium.
  3. Filter media... How does it go in here? Reactor? Media basket? Just toss in bags? I would use reactors in your case, if there is room under the stand beside the sump for them. Or if you keep the large chamber open, you can stick your reactors in there. They make the type that sit in your sump, and the type that is external from the sump.
  4. I purchased a filter sock that sits in the first chamber... (does water from tank go inside it)? Yes.
  5. I have two outlets from the tank (herbie method), so does both the outlets go into the sock? If there are two fittings at the filter sock, then yes.
  6. The 2 standing pipes connecting to the bulkhead inside the overflow (to silence), should they be same heights or higher/lower? One slightly higher I believe, but I hope someone can chime in to confirm that.
  7. Whats that thin 1" space between chamber 2 & 3? It's a baffle, used to eliminate micro bubbles and to aid in preventing any livestock from traveling to the return chamber (last chamber). You'll likely want to slide a layer of sponge I that 1" space if micro bubbles from your skimmer become an issue.
  8. Trying not to make any mods to the sump for now Good luck with that. You've already got the bug. ;)

Reactions: Nav
Thanks @Spoon.

1. I meant to use the BH-100 inside the sump. So where does it suck from and where should the return go?
3. Same as above Q for reactor... If outside sump, where from sump should the reactor motor suck water from? and where should its return sit?
5. Two fittings? I see two small holes around the big filter sock hole. Is that what you meant? But you mentioned the two tank outlets go inside the sock?

1. I meant to use the BH-100 inside the sump. So where does it suck from and where should the return go? Although I am not familiar with this skimmer, just by looking at it I would probably route the return somewhere away from where the suction is..maybe route it to return chamber is possible? Someone more familiar may chime in here.

3. Same as above Q for reactor... If outside sump, where from sump should the reactor motor suck water from? and where should its return sit? Install suction tube in main chamber, and route return tube to return chamber. You want them routed to separate compartments, so it's not filtering water that it has already just filtered. If that makes sense.

5. Two fittings? I see two small holes around the big filter sock hole. Is that what you meant? But you mentioned the two tank outlets go inside the sock? Yeah, the two holes. Put hose barb fittings in those holes, so you can clamp your hoses onto them. Some folks let their hoses just dangle in the holes, while some prefer a cleaner look, and they'll mount fittings in those holes to tighten things up. See pic below, bulkhead fittings are used on the overflow inlets and return outlets, keeps hoses secure and looking neat.

mydy3ype.jpg

Hmmm. I thought there was an acrylic plate above the sock, for you to secure your tubes to.

How will you secure your tubes..will they just lay in the sock or something? I am confused as well. Your first pic looks a bit different.

This is exactly the top view of the 1st chamber (in first pic you'll see sock hanging through this big hole).

I have vinyl tubing so was just planning to lay inside the sock...

Makes sense?

Yeah makes sense..I just don't know what to tell you other than what I already have. All the acrylic sumps I've ever seen have a spot for a fitting above the socks, to secure the pipes. I think?

The way yours is setup, I guess you're right. The pipes will just lay into the sock with no way to secure them.

Ask the guy you bought the setup from for a picture of how his plumbing was setup. Hope that helps.

Can I have the skimmer in the refugium chamber and have sort of a mesh divider around the skimmer inlet (to prevent algae form getting into it)?

Wait, on the left chamber, is there an acrylic plate on the TOP with two holes, and then just under it there is another plate with one large hole in the center? If so then your hose/pipe fittings would be on the top, and then the sock would sit in the larger hole. So the drain pipes drain on top of the sock holder. As far as I can tell.

You need to post one more picture, not top and not side, but at an angle so we can see what holes belong to which level of acrylic.

Is there just one acrylic flat piece with 3 holes in it ? (small, large, small) that sits on acrylic ledges? Or is there a piece on top like in the top picture?

The Truvu picture is clearly different from yours. It looks to have another plate on top then a plate below to hold the filter sock.

The Truvu picture is clearly different from yours. It looks to have another plate on top then a plate below to hold the filter sock.

Yeah that's why I was confused. It looks like maybe there WAS a top piece of acrylic above the sock on Navdeep's sump, and maybe it was removed, or was removable to begin with and not included in the sale?

But, for all intents and purposes Nav, you should be able to just route your hoses right into the sock. Maybe zip tie them to something so they don't flop around.

I've looked around on the web. It looks like your missing the top plate that your plumbing would attach to. The two extra holes that are in the lower plate that you have are just in case the filter sock is clogged it would allow for water to still get through.

The top plate should have a single hole right above the filter sock. I think it wouldn't be hard to make. Time to make a TAP plastics run!

Cool thanks!

Navdeep, any word from the guy you bought it from? Hopefully he has that piece and simply forgot to include it.

Back