got ethical husbandry?

Sun Coral

43613247-M.jpg

I just got this 2 weekend's ago. I finally got it to open by putting it in it's own tank. I feed it every 3 days. The tank doesn't have a skimmer.

Let me know if I need to do anything special.

Gorgeous Piece.... always had a little space in my Heart for these Beauts.
Did you get them from Steve?...i picked mine up from him and their doing great!

Since your tank doesn't have a skimmer, just be extra consious of the nitrate levels, since you'll need to feed the guy quite often with meaty foods.

I also have mine in a 10 gallon, but with a 10 gallon Fuge connected and its opening up everynight to feed on whatevers in the tank... That and i occationally feed them mysis shrimp b4 the lights cut out

In my experience you really need to keep up on the feedings. If you slip, they start to go downhill pretty quickly.

I'm toying with the idea of a low-light tank in the office with predominantly sun corals. No sump, but heavily skimmed. What do you think?

That would be cool! I was talking to Steve from Lucky Ocean and he was telling me that one of his customers was moving away from the light-intensive corals and on to dendro's. You don't need special (aka - cop has to 'inquire' about the lights in your house) lights, and they are really colorful.

Raddogz said:
You don't need special (aka - cop has to 'inquire' about the lights in your house) lights, and they are really colorful.

Office under negotiation is "utilities paid". Don't want the bldg owner to have a stroke if I put an SPS tank there. I noticed she has a really nice FW tank, though. Maybe I can switch her to reef ...

I think with all the water changing you'll be doing to keep water quality up in a heavily fed 10g, you won't need to supplment any calcium. You can also feed these remotely from the tank (see BOCP1 by Calfo).-Jim

Back