Our mission

Sunscreen kill coral reefs in tourist areas

Yep I've read about sunscreen issues for a long time now that sunscreen has been contributing to coral deaths especially in tourists places where sun screen is used a lot.

Yeah nothing new about the sunscreen. I would be interested to see how sunscreen compares to other human related issues (soil runoff, fertilizer = algae blooms, etc).

And unfortunately it's a catch 22, you can't sunscreen products in the oceans, because people will care more about their bodies than corals, you can't ban people, because if people can't go in the oceans then why go there, and being as a huge hunk of income from these tropical locations is tourist related they won't do something that would keep the tourists away. I can say without a doubt whenever I've gone to Hawaii I've been in the water every day I've been there, and yes I use plenty of sunscreen.

Has been years but an aquatic Eco-conscious park south east in Mexico (Yucatan Peninsula) asks the visitors to rinse sunscreen, can't remember if it's Xel-Ha, Xcaret or another. Has been at least two decades that I know of that park required no sunscreen on those taking a dip.
I guess a lot of us have had some sort of experience with the phrase "Reef-safe"

I've used reef safe sunscreen before, it was free at the time, I didn't get burnt (considering how white I am that must means it works) however can't comment on how reef safe it actually is

Hmmm. wonder if that sunscreen costs double the regular sunscreen price.
from my experience, unless you buy the cheapest most generic stuff, then no it's not. For sunscreen I like stuff like Nutrigena spray, it doesn't leave a greasy residue and is quite easy to apply with a spray rather than spreading on mayo type of approach, it costs more than "banana boat" or any of those cheaper ones yes, but in the grand scheme of things how often I get into a position to wear sunscreen it's a tiny cost to me.

Glad to see many members are aware of the issue. Hope researches like these will continue to promote awareness and find a better solution to preserve our reefs.

I found that wearing a rash guard is a much better alternative when snorkeling etc. on my latest trip to Hawaii. No sunscreen and no burn, in the water all day, all week long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish that would work for me but I'd literally have to be a full body suit (including face mAsk) to not get burnt without sunscreen. If Im very lucky I can survive 45 minutes in sun without burns but if there any indirect sun after that I'm red. I also get physically sick when I get burnt (feel like I have a fever, have headaches and chills for a couple of days afterwards in addition to the searing pain). I feel like retailers and industries in the area should only sell reef sAfe sunscreen. I had no idea that this was even an issue and am always happy to pay a little bit more to help the environment.

Yeah, if I wore a rash guard that's great for my back, but what about my neck? my arms? the back of my legs? Is it going to get to the point I need a full wet suit to cover everything?

Speaking of Maui, everyone stops buy either Walmart or CostCo before going to their hotel/resort, if they simply only sold reef safe stuff problem solved. I mean they ban everything under the sun coming into Hawaii, why not something that kills the coral reefs? :D

The rash guard I got in Costco in Hawaii was like a long sleeved hoodie- neck head arms all protected. The only thing out in the sun was hands and lower legs. Theses never got much tan. Hand are usually under me so no sun. I never had a problem but I am sure there is something that can be worn on legs the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back