Neptune Aquatics

T12 Lamps, what's the problem? Really better than T5s?

Dyngoe

Supporting Member
Hey All,

OK, I just posted to another thread that T12s are basically the same as T5s but that T5s have the better reflector and are therefore more efficient. However, I'm doing some research on my own and thinking this may not be the case. Here's why I'm even pondering this question:
I have a 24" frag tank that is only 6" deep (love it!) which is right now not getting the light it deserves and the corals are suffering. Now, I don't have an extra ballast sitting around or extra T5 endcaps but I do have a two ballasts that will power 4xT12 20W lights. I am assuming these will not be as good as T5s but if I line the DIY fixture with a good reflective material, put curves on the side to direct the light down and mount it close to the surface of the tank, will it be all that bad? Considering I have all the material except the lights here I'm looking at <$80 investment as opposed to ~$200.

Thoughts?

T12s are the same as T5s? IIRC T5s are more efficient at total light output than T12 bulbs without reflectors at all, now when you add in the reflectors... yeah they become even more efficient.

... today sucks btw :D ..

Back