Reef nutrition

Tangs on the Brain

So, the Achilles would be gorgeous, but there are so many other pretty fish!!!

Little background, I am in the process (does it ever end?) of setting up a 150 (5x2x2) and waiting on a 300 Marineland deep (6x3x27"). The focus of the 300 will be Red Spot Glass Cardinalfish (Apogon parvulus), I think, I am still debating due to survival rates. Either way, it will be a large school (30-50) of Cardinals. The main focus of the 150 is going to be anemone & clownfish. The 300 is going to be a mixed reef tank, with no SPS (until I change my mind), more softies. As of right now, the 150 is only going to be the anemones until they are settled in, and I will probably throw in some star polyps for coverage. This is about as far as I have gotten. There will be assorted gobies in the 300, and maybe a few in the 150 (close call with anemones all over...).

My questions is this, the little tangs that I would like to have are the Chevron (11"), White Cheek (8"), Kole Yellow Eye (7"), and Mimic Eibli (10"), how nice of a mixer could I throw with these guys? Think I could pull all 4 in the 300g? Or 3 in the 150 (I'd probably drop the Mimic Eibli)? I should add that the total volume for the 300 is actually going to be closer 600, yay for fish rooms (and being single)! So, that should help with the bio-load issues.

I also have a 90 (coral tank) that is up and running, with a Sohal in it. Not the optimal place, but he is still a little guy, and will be moved to either of the larger tanks if things don't play out, or an 8' fish only. So there is a back up tank to throw one of the little guys if I have to.

Thoughts? And not just on the tangs!

If you mix the Chevy and the Kole you're prolly going to see some aggression between the two.

AFA the tanks, I'd put the tangs in the 300, they do much better in bigger tanks, especially if you are going to mix them.

I recomend that you add as many tangs at the same time as you can. This will help to reduce aggression. And of course, the bigger the tank the better! I also recommend frequent feedings of a wide variety of fortified foods.

My feeding tends to be 4 times a day, mixing as many different types of food as possible to get everyone in the system, Rods is one feeding, pellets soaked in vitamin second, frozen brine soaked in vitamin third, and a mix of frozen algae/marine something or other, and I usually throw in some dry seaweed when I have fish that need it. What are the thoughts on garlic? I am a big fan of True Blood, but wonder what its effects really are besides being "unpleasant"?

I have time, and would be trying to get them all thrown in at the same time, and hopefully as small as possible.

Mimic Eibli (10")? Are you saying that is the max size, or the size you want? A mimic eibli will no longer show it's mimic colors beyond being a teenager.

Just that that is its max size. I figure if I am planning to buy these fish, it should be for the long haul, and their maximum size is what causes problems, not when they are pretty. I am hoping to get them as small as possible.

That's really not true really. Even a small pretty tang can be a problem fish :)

Back