High Tide Aquatics

Tank Journal : Converting Fresh water to a Saltwater Tank

Nitrites and ammonia test kits aren't needed going forward and are only really used in the initial setup of a tank. Nitrates could be tracked going forward, but I would take a look at a better test kit for that (Salifert). As for phosphates, switch it out for a Hanna ULR phosphate "egg" instead.

Looking at your progression, it doesn't look like you've been quarantining the fish. I would highly recommend that you do so for the remaining fish and consider qt'ing any future purchases. I would also recommend that you have a top over your tank with that list of fish. If you don't want to spend a ton of money, consider a DIY top, such as the one that chromis is holding a session for.

Been awhile since the last update.

Lost a couple of more fish - not from sickness, but possibly aggression or they were freaked out while I was learning how to setup the lights.

• Added 2x Radion XR 15 with the diffuser. Setting the current lighting options low for now.
  • Added a second Vortech MP40, image of schedule below.
  • Stopped by the local aquarium and picked up a couple of pieces of coral today :)

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-22_21-31-22.png
    upload_2018-4-22_21-31-22.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 241
  • upload_2018-4-22_21-32-40.png
    upload_2018-4-22_21-32-40.png
    181.6 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Skimz mbr 157 update after 1 month. Looks like the Chaeto grew on the LED light, possible that I didn't tie down the original seeding pieces good enough. Oh yeah, that O-Ring is still a pain. :)

ac8c06072e91273e35402db92d412211.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Skimz mbr 157 update after 1 month. Looks like the Chaeto grew on the LED light, possible that I didn't tie down the original seeding pieces good enough. Oh yeah, that O-Ring is still a pain. :)

ac8c06072e91273e35402db92d412211.jpg

Do you know what your nutrient levels are and what is your lighting schedule?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't checked it today, but last week it was (see below):
Nitrites: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 10 ppm
Phosphates: 0

Lighting schedule is around 1-11pm at 30% intensity max. The MBR 157 is running the opposite schedule, only on at night time.

Algae growth:

starting to get some diatoms and green algae, not sure what type but its covering the rocks and glass.

Clean up crew:
  • ordered the reef tune up from IPSF - main reason was to get the coral algae booster :)
    • 3 Hawaiian Trocus Grazers™ (Trochus intextus)
    • 6 Hawaiian MicroTurbo
    • 6 Nerite Grazers™ (Nerita sp.)
    • 6 MicroHermits™ (Calcinus sp.)
    • 6 Hawaiian Littorinid Grazers (Littoraria sp.)
    • 25 Reef Amphipods

Tried to move it to get a better shot, but can't seem to find it anymore. Might have retracted, so small that I can't see it.

Put the pieces in this container for now, for observation.

5dd98e7e608df19bee22f84aa9f7dd0e.jpg

Those look like the commercial coralline algae seeding plates. If they are, I’m sure there wouldn’t be any aiptasia.

Plus I don’t see any in that photo. Aiptasia don’t create a hard tube, they are entirely soft since they are a type of anemone, and can’t retract away on a flat surface. Just get a pic with more neutral light when you can.

Last edited:
Thanks,

Was a little worried there for a second. The plates came from an online store, used to seed Coraline algae.

Reactions: JVU
Green algae and a hitch hiking starfish.

I'm guessing green algae is a part of the cycle and will go over some time.

The hitch hiker looks like a starfish? Should I be worried?

Thanks

b0e11123736f4b279274944769c547a1.jpg
3f0715a6afee34fa94b7de932d09d435.jpg

Last edited:
Back