Our mission

Tank Upgrade

i am getting ready to upgrade from a Nuvo Fusion 40 to something larger. I currently have my eye on a Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL Deluxe. The tank is 160 gallons with a 40 gallon sump. I am wondering what people think about the Red Sea Reefer series. Would I be better off with something else? I could go a little larger, but don’t know what other brands to look at. I don’t trust the Marineland DD tanks. Thanks.

I have the RSR750 and love it. Excellent build quality, thoughtfully designed.

The ATO system needs to be replaced and the return nozzle should be bifurcated with loc-line nozzles. Some people mess with the plumbing but I didn’t. Other than that it’s perfect and a great deal in my opinion. I would buy it again.

Thanks for the quick replies. I think the Red Sea tanks are very well built. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. Are the Hydra 26 HD lights good? I currently have a gen 3 radion on my Nuvo. Using the included Hydra 26 lights in the deluxe edition would save a bit of money over buying more radions. I figure I could use my existing radion over the Fuge.

Thanks for the quick replies. I think the Red Sea tanks are very well built. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. Are the Hydra 26 HD lights good? I currently have a gen 3 radion on my Nuvo. Using the included Hydra 26 lights in the deluxe edition would save a bit of money over buying more radions. I figure I could use my existing radion over the Fuge.

Hydras are good and will definitely provide enough light and grow coral. That said, I prefer the color and look that the radions provide (especially with the radion diffusers) over the AI hydras.

Hydras are good and will definitely provide enough light and grow coral. That said, I prefer the color and look that the radions provide (especially with the radion diffusers) over the AI hydras.
Personally, I wouldn’t get the hydras unless that’s what you would end up getting anyways (if they weren’t bundled into the deluxe model).

Some good options that pop into mind, ATI powermodule, led retrofit T5, kessil ap700, Ghl mitras, ecotech radions, would be what I would be looking at. Though big tank means lots of light fixtures means lots of $$$$!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only gripe is with the stand.

They use materials similar to Ikea furniture. Looks to be higher quality but I’ve see several older RSR tanks (1-2 years) where you can see the wood has swollen from water. Hinges in the door were rusted etc.

The tank it beautiful and generally well made. Not a fan of the overflow system but it is reliable. Metric plumbing can be an issue if you choose to modify the stock plumbing

My only gripe is with the stand.

They use materials similar to Ikea furniture. Looks to be higher quality but I’ve see several older RSR tanks (1-2 years) where you can see the wood has swollen from water. Hinges in the door were rusted etc.

The tank it beautiful and generally well made. Not a fan of the overflow system but it is reliable. Metric plumbing can be an issue if you choose to modify the stock plumbing

Do you know of a place that sells stainless hinges? I use high end name brand hinges but they rust as well. I had just planned on replacing them every couple years. I’ve seen stainless piano hinges but not concealed euro style hinges.

More is better but three is fine. You'll eventually want more. Are you going with the pros?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Definitely go with a reputable brand if you want rimless. RSR is a good one (for tanks).
You need to get that glass thickness and glue right.

Stands are definitely an issue, especially here in earthquake areas.
But you can use RSR, strengthen it, add thicker paint, etc.

Are you sure you want rimless vs eurobraced? Various pros/cons.

At 160G+, do not be afraid to go full custom.
It is not really that much more, and you get exactly what you want.
Of course, that means endless agonizing over every decision....

I am going to go down to Neptune Aquatics in the near future to talk to them about Crystal Dynamics tanks. Do they keep any of the standard sizes in stock so I can look at them? I prefer the rimless look, but will keep an open mind about a braced tank. I guess the biggest pro of a braced tank is that they can use thinner glass which may let you look through better. With a custom tank, I might be tempted to go bigger (220-240ish). I also noticed that Neptune Aquatics makes custom stands as well. They look very nice.

On the RS website, it says that 750XXL stands are plywood. Is this not true? I keep seeing people say that they are MDF/Particle Board...I don't like the idea of MDF/Particle Board. I would be happier with regular plywood (please let me know if I am being naïve with this opinion). Can anyone confirm what type of material they use? If I go the RS route, I might be tempted to try the Hydra lights. I have a Radion now and like it, but the Hydra would save me some money. I saw a Hydra 26 HD in action at Aquatic Collection and it looked very nice. Thanks.

Dave

Back