Jestersix

Tank Upgrade

I am going to go down to Neptune Aquatics in the near future to talk to them about Crystal Dynamics tanks. Do they keep any of the standard sizes in stock so I can look at them? I prefer the rimless look, but will keep an open mind about a braced tank. I guess the biggest pro of a braced tank is that they can use thinner glass which may let you look through better. With a custom tank, I might be tempted to go bigger (220-240ish). I also noticed that Neptune Aquatics makes custom stands as well. They look very nice.

On the RS website, it says that 750XXL stands are plywood. Is this not true? I keep seeing people say that they are MDF/Particle Board...I don't like the idea of MDF/Particle Board. I would be happier with regular plywood (please let me know if I am being naïve with this opinion). Can anyone confirm what type of material they use? If I go the RS route, I might be tempted to try the Hydra lights. I have a Radion now and like it, but the Hydra would save me some money. I saw a Hydra 26 HD in action at Aquatic Collection and it looked very nice. Thanks.

Dave

Have you ever seen a diffuser on the Radion? They look MUCH nicer with them.

You can ask Red Sea about the stand materials. They always get back to me in a couple hours or less when I email questions.

I can’t tell what type of wood it is since it is has the waterproof coating everywhere. I wouldn’t be surprised if it is MDF.

I think the stand is excellent, nicer than just about any other brand I’ve seen in stores or friends’ houses.

Also the Reefers use low iron glass so they are crystal clear despite the increased thickness. I doubt you could go much bigger than the 750 with rimless style though, even custom.

i am getting ready to upgrade from a Nuvo Fusion 40 to something larger. I currently have my eye on a Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL Deluxe. The tank is 160 gallons with a 40 gallon sump. I am wondering what people think about the Red Sea Reefer series. Would I be better off with something else? I could go a little larger, but don’t know what other brands to look at. I don’t trust the Marineland DD tanks. Thanks.

I have a Red Sea Max 260E. I’ve been happy this far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick replies. I think the Red Sea tanks are very well built. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. Are the Hydra 26 HD lights good? I currently have a gen 3 radion on my Nuvo. Using the included Hydra 26 lights in the deluxe edition would save a bit of money over buying more radions. I figure I could use my existing radion over the Fuge.

EcoTech now owns Aquaillumintion. My guess is they are equal to Radions.

I have an RSR 170. I've owned ELOS tanks in the past. The RSR is functionally better (I could not ever get behind how the drains/sump/return systems on the elos worked, also their skimmer was terrible). The glass is top notch, but the silicon is not as perfect as I've seen in ELOS tanks. That being said, it's so minor. The build is great, I think you'll be happy.

As for Hydra HD, I have a 52 HD over my tank. I didn't think about any other light because this one is the only LED that comes in a white fixture (as far as I know). Thank goodness it gives good light to boot. The app looks nice and it all works well. I haven't compared it to Radions, but should be pretty on par...

I've heard good things about Waterbox as well. They just came out with new models too that look promising. I think they could possibly be a better choice because they're extremely plugged into the community. They are trying to fix ALL the complaints that everyone had about Red Sea Reefers, and I think they've done a good job of it. Like the ATO reservoir in RSR's are useless (they are tiny, and use gravity fed systems that clog), whereas Waterbox comes with a (Pacific Kore maybe?) ATO system.

I have an RSR 170. I've owned ELOS tanks in the past. The RSR is functionally better (I could not ever get behind how the drains/sump/return systems on the elos worked, also their skimmer was terrible). The glass is top notch, but the silicon is not as perfect as I've seen in ELOS tanks. That being said, it's so minor. The build is great, I think you'll be happy.

As for Hydra HD, I have a 52 HD over my tank. I didn't think about any other light because this one is the only LED that comes in a white fixture (as far as I know). Thank goodness it gives good light to boot. The app looks nice and it all works well. I haven't compared it to Radions, but should be pretty on par...

I've heard good things about Waterbox as well. They just came out with new models too that look promising. I think they could possibly be a better choice because they're extremely plugged into the community. They are trying to fix ALL the complaints that everyone had about Red Sea Reefers, and I think they've done a good job of it. Like the ATO reservoir in RSR's are useless (they are tiny, and use gravity fed systems that clog), whereas Waterbox comes with a (Pacific Kore maybe?) ATO system.

GHL Mitras come in white.

EcoTech now owns Aquaillumintion. My guess is they are equal to Radions.

AI hydras do not equal Radions. The LED mix that is used is different and thus the color blend of the light (at least to my eyes) are not the same. Also, the software is completely different. I think both lights can grow coral well, but they are definitely not the same.

GHL Mitras come in white.

AI hydras do not equal Radions. The LED mix that is used is different and thus the color blend of the light (at least to my eyes) are not the same. Also, the software is completely different. I think both lights can grow coral well, but they are definitely not the same.
Then explain to me when I call Aquaillumination they refer me to the Ecotech site to get led settings? The person I spoke to stated it would be the same.

Then explain to me when I call Aquaillumination they refer me to the Ecotech site to get led settings? The person I spoke to stated it would be the same.

Dunno. First, I don't know what settings you were discussing about with their support and second, you should ask them, it's their product. I can only let tell you know what I've experienced and what I read online. Software suite is different and LED mix is different.

The reason why AI refer you to Ecotech is because it was a merger/buyout with Ecotech buying AI. With the consolidation, the support went over to Ecotech, but that doesn't mean that they're equal. Both of them were separate companies that were in competition with each other until the buyout. This is why you haven't seen AI put out a new light since fall of 2015. The two companies were to act as different entities at the time of the merger with different support, but if AI is referring you to Ecotech for support, then chances are AI will eventually be phased out or only coupled with RSR bundles (most likely due to their business dealings with RS prior to the merger).

And on a slight tangent, in case you have not heard. AI HD series lights will be controllable through your Apex pretty soon. Overdrive and all.

No module necessary.

I’ve seen the UI and it is very similar to the AI app.

Reactions: Ibn
I love my RSR Nano and 250. Build quality is excellent. A couple minor issues would be stand on the Nano is MDF covered in laminate. I can tell since part of the laminate is peeling off due to water damage. I wouldn't be surprised if all the stands were made of high dense MDF covered in laminate. The doors covered in marine grade paint are top notches tho. Hinges will get rusty. I believe the much larger RSR have a aluminum brace within the stands. Also the silicone on the inside of the RSR 250 and up has plastic over the silicone, makes it look much higher end since it hides any flawed silicone work. My 170 and Nano didn't have this. Agreed on the ATO reservoir it's useless, but maybe on the bigger RSR it'll be more use if you mod it to a refuge.

I recently swapped out two of my Radion XR30w Pro Gen 3 on my Reefer 250 and XR15 on my Nano for two AP700. Loving it so far. The look with the Kessil mounting arms looks much cleaner than the RMS. Unless you plan on hanging the Radions than this won't bother you. Also I hated using the Reeflink. The built in Wfif and Kessil app makes pairing and controlling the AP700 much easier. Lastly, love the shimmer effect of Kessils. I wasn't a fan of the A360w but I think Kessil got it right with the AP700.

Good luck on the new build!

Also check out this video if you haven't seen it yet.
How Red Sea Aquariums are made:

Back