Neptune Aquatics

Tapmorf's In Wall Upgrade

Well the "thinking of an upgrade" has now become more real. This may be a slow moving thread, but at least there is a hole in our new family room wall :D
Current tank 75g mixed reef - upstairs in kitchen will be upgraded and relocated downstairs to the family room.

Planning for 48"Lx36"Wx24"H, roughly 180 gallons.
The blue tape gave me a rough idea of location in the room.
Ultimately the opening will be slightly taller to accommodate an access panel above the tank.

Photo of family room and garage prior to action.
939_09_10_08_9_13_39.jpg

939_09_10_08_9_14_25.jpg

You guys are fast ! :)
Here they are, progress after this weekend.

939_19_10_08_10_20_32.jpg

View from Family Room
939_19_10_08_10_10_40.jpg

View from Garage
939_19_10_08_10_17_59.jpg

The central vac on the garage side will need to be relocated to provide more clearance. A Home Depot run in the near future to get some lumber to finish the frame out of the opening and to build the stand + platform for the tank is needed.

You're absolutely sure that's not a load bearing wall right?? ;)

And wow, R-19 insulation in the walls? I thought you lived in an ancient SF home that didn't believe in things like insulation :D

Thanks. Dudley you are right, not a loaded wall.

Ancient is right,. This room was just finished out about a month ago. The wall with the now, seemingly giant hole, was never there before. We were pretty impressed that our contractor went with the good stuff inside the walls.
[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=4902.msg59746#msg59746 date=1224508123]
You're absolutely sure that's not a load bearing wall right?? ;)

And wow, R-19 insulation in the walls? I thought you lived in an ancient SF home that didn't believe in things like insulation :D

[/quote]

Rudy, Yes this is the same room that use to have the big tank. Quite a change from the piled up space you saw before. :D

I like the 36 width, but will there be anywhere that you can actually view the tank from the side? Just curious. Why not go 5ft long? : )

The side will be viewable from the garage only. Eileen is right, the width of the wall only allows for a 4' length before I start running into the underside of the stair on the garage side, but I do wish I could go 5'.

[quote author=Apon link=topic=4902.msg59791#msg59791 date=1224528500]
I like the 36 width, but will there be anywhere that you can actually view the tank from the side? Just curious. Why not go 5ft long? : )
[/quote]

Phong,
Planning on ordering the tank in 2-3 weeks. Going with acrylic. We want to make sure we have the wall, platform and area prepared prior to getting the tank. We have no space to put it in the garage, since we are still dealing with all the unearthed stuff from the family room build out a couple months ago.
Besides, we don't want any accidental scratches to occur. :)

[quote author=dswong01 link=topic=4902.msg59751#msg59751 date=1224514724]
Nice Joyce. Dont think it load bear Mike no shear wall
[/quote]
Sorry for the offtopic bit Joyce :D

Dudley, doesn't the drywall technically act as a shear?
That being said by the looks of the whole picture, the load is being held by the beam and post in top picture.

This looks like it is going to be really interesting and informative! One day I'd like to do a wall tank, so watching your progress will be educational. :)

I am happy to report some progress since the last posting. Good thing too, since I am about to pull the trigger on the tank order :D

After our car was dropped off for repair (window smashed and vandalized on Halloween day out in daylight) >:( we made a trip to Tap Plastics on South Vanness. Ordered acrylic to be cut for baffles to the new sump. I am planning to use my old 75 for sump, fuge and return. Thanks to Dyngoe's extra 75g, I am going to be able to setup a temp holding area for the corals and fish during the move and be able to empty out the old 75 for sump prep.

We made our Home Depot run for various screws,wood: 2x6, and 4x6 during the storm yesterday (Saturday).

Today we started by unhooking our central vac (the one shown in the second pic of this thread). We need to relocate this unit to another area in the garage.

As for the hole in the wall, a ton of 2x4s were dropped into the wall cavity to provide extra support for the 2x6 sill that is going on top. The platform is being built out of 2x6 and will be finished off with plywood and topped off with pink foam. Does anyone know where in HD it is and what name I should ask for it by ?

I also picked up mildew and mold resistant paint to coat the stand once finished.

I will post some pics a a bit later.

Joyce - not sure which pink foam it is but it can be found at HD, Lowes, and my all time favorite OSH (no slight - it's a great place to find smaller pieces of pvc pipe and much better choice of pvc plumbing parts)

Back